You Gotta Be Kidding Me - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree73Likes

You Gotta Be Kidding Me

This is a discussion on You Gotta Be Kidding Me within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; A drunk driver leaves a bar with a BAC of over twice the legal limit and feloniously kills a family ...

A drunk driver leaves a bar with a BAC of over twice the legal limit and feloniously kills a family in a minivan. Would it be insensitive and quite provocative to drive a legally possessed and driven vehicle past the scene of the crime where a family was killed by a criminal using a vehicle just hours before? Oh, I know, a large group of members here will say, "Well, THAT'S DIFFERENT!"
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    A drunk driver leaves a bar with a BAC of over twice the legal limit and feloniously kills a family in a minivan. Would it be insensitive and quite provocative to drive a legally possessed and driven vehicle past the scene of the crime where a family was killed by a criminal using a vehicle just hours before? Oh, I know, a large group of members here will say, "Well, THAT'S DIFFERENT!"
    In all honesty? Yeah, that is different because no matter how many horrendous accidents minivans cause we are not fighting a battle against people intending to ban minivans for the greater good. Seems that minivans cause neither any concern nor have there been reports of minivan drivers being eyed by passerbyers with police arriving at the scene shortly thereafter.

I have no qualms with open carry per se I just think right now is the wrong time to do that at a movie theater of all places. Who really thinks they will convince the majority of people there that it's perfectly alright and appropriate as opposed to have people shake their heads at just another "gun nut"?

Please, nobody need to be offended, I respect whatever decision you make on this, this is just my personal opinion.
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jg1967 View Post
    In all honesty? Yeah, that is different because no matter how many horrendous accidents minivans cause we are not fighting a battle against people intending to ban minivans for the greater good. Seems that minivans cause neither any concern nor have there been reports of minivan drivers being eyed by passerbyers with police arriving at the scene shortly thereafter.

I have no qualms with open carry per se I just think right now is the wrong time to do that at a movie theater of all places. Who really thinks they will convince the majority of people there that it's perfectly alright and appropriate as opposed to have people shake their heads at just another "gun nut"?

Please, nobody need to be offended, I respect whatever decision you make on this, this is just my personal opinion.
    I am not offended... and I respect that everyone is entitled to have an opinion...

Please allow me to give you more information that might have an impact upon your opinion....

Please check out post #45 in this discussion....

And perhaps open carrying at a theater is exactly what is needed so folks can discover there is a difference between honorable people who carry a gun right out there in plain sight and harm no one... and criminals who hide their guns so they can sneak them in and shoot up the place.

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    Somehow cops and concealed carry people need a better understanding. Open carry worries people and always will so get with it and conceal. Stop looking for reasons to have arguements.
    Your opinion is duly noted, although patently false. I gave your last statement the attention it deserved. I discarded it as nonsense.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    I am not offended... and I respect that everyone is entitled to have an opinion...

Please allow me to give you more information that might have an impact upon your opinion....

Please check out post #45 in this discussion....

And perhaps open carrying at a theater is exactly what is needed so folks can discover there is a difference between honorable people who carry a gun right out there in plain sight and harm no one... and criminals who hide their guns so they can sneak them in and shoot up the place.
    The last I can see as maybe worth trying, actually.
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

And it will remain so as long as guns are kept hidden away like some evil, retarded stepchild.

That's actually a quite logical assumption. If it becomes commonplace, it's quite logical to assume society would become accustomed to it. But first it has to become commonplace. That's a big 'if' though. It would take a whole lot more people open carrying to accomplish that, but it would have to start somewhere, wouldn't it? Consider a hypothetical question from mid 1700s America. "Who really thinks they will convince the British that it's perfectly alright and appropriate for us to self determine our own affairs as opposed to having them shake their heads at just another "antitax nut"? What governs such matters is not just public perception of the time, be it the mid 1700s or 2012. What matters most is whether the underlying principle is just and honorable. That doesn't mean you should go out and fight every uphill battle you can find, but it does mean you shouldn't abandon a just cause simply because public perception isn't in your favor. If you do abandon it, then your cause will never succeed. And if you're willing to sacrifice your principles in such a way, then what are those principles really worth to you?

As I've stated here before, I rarely open carry. I carry concealed mostly for tactical reasons. But I would never attempt to dissuade anyone from legally open carrying their firearm as long as they're doing so in a non-threatening manner, nor will I malign anyone for doing so. For me to do something like that while I hold our 2nd amendment rights so dear, I feel would make me a hypocrite of the highest order. Will there be controversy over such open carry ? Sure there will. But it won't be our fault. And with each occurrence, more and more uneducated people out there will become educated. The progress might be painstakingly slow, but it's still progress.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Well, there is that. It plain and simple is a rather insensitive thing to do right now and indeed quite provocative.
    If we look at this from such deductive logic: if this, then that:
    Someone drove through a crowd of people with a truck and killed many of them. With your logic no one should drive a truck because it would be insensitive and indeed provocative.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

Quote Originally Posted by Stan45 View Post
    If we look at this from such deductive logic: if this, then that:
    Someone drove through a crowd of people with a truck and killed many of them. With your logic no one should drive a truck because it would be insensitive and indeed provocative.
    Not really, see earlier reply under "minivan" ... but like I said, to each it's own, I respect other people coming to a different conclusion on this issue so we can just leave it at that. And some of you guys made some very good points, by the way.
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678