USMC going back to 1911 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

USMC going back to 1911

This is a discussion on USMC going back to 1911 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by Seeya The 1911 Pistol passed your little test over 100 years ago before it was selected for ...

S&W645 is offline NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    The 1911 Pistol passed your little test over 100 years ago before it was selected for the armed services. Glock is a teenager trying to take a tough wise old man down. Try putting a Glock in water to cool it down and have it function 60000 rounds in two days. Plastic melts and deforms.

M1911 pistol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yep. Many a 1911 has been dropped in muddy conditions and still functioned. If you shake one and it rattles, it will pass the mud test without problems. It is when people try to tighten them up is when they get finicky.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Nightmare45 is offline NRA LIFE MEMBER

Welcome back old friend, mine never left. Peace, Love, Colt 45.

S&W645 is offline NRA Life Member

The Marines: Looking for a few good men and a few good guns. The Navy never really liked the M9 and neither did the Marines when it came down to to up close work for the SEALs or the SOGs. Both kept 1911s in use and the Navy also bought the Sigs, which had lost to the Beretta M9.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

My stock in Colt just went up!
    When liberals run out of other people's right to infridge upon, how many will give up theirs?

Oooo rahhhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    The Marines: Looking for a few good men and a few good guns. The Navy never really liked the M9 and neither did the Marines when it came down to to up close work for the SEALs or the SOGs. Both kept 1911s in use and the Navy also bought the Sigs, which had lost to the Beretta M9.
    The ONLY reason the Sig lost to Beretta was cost alone. Both passed the performance test just fine.

Shame too! It's the only time in my 20 that I saw the Gov't opt for something cheaper when something more expensive was available.

Oh wait. This was really to do with creature comfort in a sense wasn't it! And since it wasn't about the Air Force, they decided not to spend the extra money. :);)

KK

I don't think that the Marines, or the Army for that matter, would have chosen the Beretta as second, third, or fourth choice. The trials were totally and completely rigged in favor of the M92. Many companies didn't even bother because they knew, if I'm not mistaken, no American company had an entrant in the actual testing, has been many years since I read the story. Never found out why, guess some congressmen got kickbacks from the purchase or something similar.

My choice at the time would have been the time-tested Browning Hi-Power, but it obviously wasn't exciting enough....why would we want the same sidearm that GB used? And the design was nearly as old as the M-1911

That is, until a couple of years after the change, and I first had a Sig P-226 in my hands......
    "I don't think that a society that encourages over a million abortions a year....a society that kills out of convenience, i.e., Jack Kevorkian, can not have consequences." --Rush Limbaugh

The Marines knows whats up!!! Marine Forever, WHOO WHOO WHOO!!!
    I will look towards the hills from whense cometh my help. All my help cometh from the Lord.

gunnerbob is offline ~Gun Junkie~

Quote Originally Posted by Keykutter View Post
    The ONLY reason the Sig lost to Beretta was cost alone. Both passed the performance test just fine.

Shame too! It's the only time in my 20 that I saw the Gov't opt for something cheaper when something more expensive was available.

Oh wait. This was really to do with creature comfort in a sense wasn't it! And since it wasn't about the Air Force, they decided not to spend the extra money. :);)
    KK
    Hey hey hey...

Wait, you're tight ;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

MI .45 is offline MI .45

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Yep. Many a 1911 has been dropped in muddy conditions and still functioned. If you shake one and it rattles, it will pass the mud test without problems. It is when people try to tighten them up is when they get finicky.
    Been there - done that! Republic of Vietnam, 1970
    “You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad.” – Aldous Huxley

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast