Good hand gun for a young lady
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Good hand gun for a young lady

This is a discussion on Good hand gun for a young lady within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; My daughter, who is 23, wants a hand gun for her birthday. She wants a semi-automatic but does not want ...

Default Good hand gun for a young lady

My daughter, who is 23, wants a hand gun for her birthday. She wants a semi-automatic but does not want to carry. At least for now. We live in Minnesota and I think she should have at least a 9mm because of heavy coats in the winter. I also think she should have a good thumb safety on it. Any good ideas what I should get her?

You probably need to take her to a place and rent some before you buy and let HER tell you what feels are works best.

There are a ton of choices, but the only one with a safety that I can recall is the M&P. Personally, I don't think a manual safety is all that smart. Unless she is going to practice a ton flipping that safety off and pulling the trigger. Honestly, I believe point and shoot is the best. Your brain and fingers are the best safety. The less a person has to think about under stress the better.

You will here Glock, M&P, Ruger and Springfield. Perhaps the Ruger has a manual safety. I have not shot that particular pistol and am unsure.

Still - RENT and let HER choose what works for her.

Good Luck!

Psalm 82:3-5

Blog Entries

Ruger has P89 with thumb safety, its been out a good while. Thats what I carry at time or my S&W MP 40 with no thumb safety . Like said in post before, take her out where she can try different pistols.

If those are the features that appeal to her, be sure to rent a Beretta 92 and give it a spin. The H&K P2000 is another one worth a good look.
    MR

Hi Vern

Bills Gun Shop in Robinsdale or Circle Pines has a range and rents pistols to try. They can give you some good advice to.
    Bill's Gun Shop and Range

The Ruger SR9C has a trigger and thumb safety.A 9 and 15 shot clip also.I guess some depends on if she can rack the slide on a 9.If she hasnt shot much and wants to shoot cheap she might look at a Sig Sauer 1911 22. 22LR ammo is cheap and the Sig doesnt cost a arm and a leg.Its a full size 1911 and is fun to shoot and gain some gun handleing experance. My GF settled on a Beretta 3230 with the tip up barrel for a carry gun.Its not a bad shooter at 20-25' but she still loves to shoot my Sig 1911 22.JMO

Springfield's have a grip safety, which I think is a good compromise between a full manual switch and nothing.
    NRA Life Member

In no particular order:

Smith & Wesson M&P (full, compact, or the Shield for subcompact)
    Ruger SR9 (full or compact)
    Springfield XD (full or compact, M series is better for a higher price. Also has the XDs for a .45 subcompact)

The best bet is to take her to the range and rent a few to see which fits HER. The M&P and XD offer multiple grips, so she can fit it to her hand size. Those are the first two I'd recommend trying.

I like my husband's Ruger SR9c. Definitely try one of those. But yeah, she should pick out her own gun.

Have her look at the Bersa guns... the .22, .380 are the same size and weight, learn on the .22 then get a .380.
    I carry a Bersa Thunder .380 loaded with good defensive ammo and trust it completely.

You can also look at the Bersa 9mm's, Bersa guns are dependable and at a reasonable price. Check out BersaChatForum.com

Also the Ruger SR9c 9mm is one very nice weapon and has a safety also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast