Overkill
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Overkill

This is a discussion on Overkill within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Seeing the article has angered me. There is a problem with over use of force. One bullet was suffice but ...

Default Overkill

Seeing the article has angered me. There is a problem with over use of force. One bullet was suffice but this is overkill. Police need to be trained to down individuals not kill.

Police Shoot and Kill Man Near Times Square | NBC New York

I thought the NYC cops had Tazers?. That would of worked great in this case instead of killing this guy.
    Samuel Colt did more for equality in America than any civil rights activist.

SR40c is offline Done told her once...

Whether it's a cop or a private citizen, you never "shoot to wound". You shoot to stop the threat. Sometimes the threat dies.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

10 rounds into an unarmored person though? Eeesh... while I agree that you shoot until the threat is stopped I rather doubt the guy was still standing when shot 9 was fired.
    NRA Life Member

RJ_Whitlock is offline M&P 9mm

They always say don't carry a knife to a gun fight.
    Sic vis pacem, para bellum

You shoot until the threat is neutralized. 80% of all hand gun wounds are survivable. 35-40% of knife wounds are survivable. And of the 10 rounds fired, how many either hit the perp or struck in vital regions. The article doesn't address any of that and won't as long as the media is anti LEO. So again, you shoot until the threat is removed.

This argument / topic seems to come up often. "They used too much force." The article is from NBC, that creates an issue in itself in my opinion. But really, the guy had a machete sized knife. Police told him to drop it and he didn't. I can't say this enough.... STUPID SHOULD HURT!
    You shoot to stop the threat. Two shots center mass. If the threat is still there. Two shots center mass. Continue until the threat stops. The police don't know that he wasn't hopped up on PCP. They did the right thing. Of course this is looking from the outside.

Good grief, there are enough times when the police do seem to over step their authority. This doesn't seem to be one of those times. Since I wasn't there and this is coming from Never Broadcast Correctly, I have to believe the police did the right thing.

Psalm 82:3-5

Quote Originally Posted by Iam2Taz View Post
    This argument / topic seems to come up often. "They used too much force." The article is from NBC, that creates an issue in itself in my opinion. But really, the guy had a machete sized knife. Police told him to drop it and he didn't. I can't say this enough.... STUPID SHOULD HURT!
    You shoot to stop the threat. Two shots center mass. If the threat is still there. Two shots center mass. Continue until the threat stops. The police don't know that he wasn't hopped up on PCP. They did the right thing. Of course this is looking from the outside.

Good grief, there are enough times when the police do seem to over step their authority. This doesn't seem to be one of those times. Since I wasn't there and this is coming from Never Broadcast Correctly, I have to believe the police did the right thing.
    "hopped up on PCP" is really not how it works and it is myths like that which lead to such potential overkill.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

1. Ten rounds were fired. How many hit the suspect?
    2. If several officers are shooting, ten rounds could be fired in, literally, a couple of seconds.
    3. "'It was scary because a shooting starts here someone could get hurt quickly,' Delgado said." I certainly HOPE so!

Quote Originally Posted by Numenor View Post
    10 rounds into an unarmored person though? Eeesh... while I agree that you shoot until the threat is stopped I rather doubt the guy was still standing when shot 9 was fired.
    A foot long knife is considered unarmed, yikes. What do you consider armed, a machete?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast