Transfer of a gun when it was gifted by a dying family memeber? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Transfer of a gun when it was gifted by a dying family memeber?

This is a discussion on Transfer of a gun when it was gifted by a dying family memeber? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by markbrown47 So what if I am given or buy a gun in my state then move to ...

Quote Originally Posted by markbrown47 View Post
    So what if I am given or buy a gun in my state then move to a different state five years from now. Are you telling me that I have to ship it to myself in the new state through a FFL?

Mark
    No. What I am saying is that for someone to give you a gun, or for you to buy a gun directly from a private party without an FFL, you both must be residents of the same state in order to comply with Federal law. Some state laws such as California will not allow private party transactions without an FFL within that state.

Once you legally obtain the gun in one state, you own the gun. When you take the gun that you already own to another state, there is no transfer of ownership occurring, so no FFL is required when you move the guns you own to another state, unless a state law requires it. If I remember correctly, when moving to New York state, state law requires you to obtain a New York permit before you bring your handguns into the state, and then they must go through a New York FFL, but I might be wrong on New York. California requires you to register the handguns you bring with you, but that is just a form and $19 each you send to the state, no FFL required.
    Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman. Amerika: a place where the serfs are afraid of the action the police may take against them for perfectly legal behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    No. What I am saying is that for someone to give you a gun, or for you to buy a gun directly from a private party without an FFL, you both must be residents of the same state in order to comply with Federal law. Some state laws such as California will not allow private party transactions without an FFL within that state. Once you legally obtain the gun in one state, you own the gun. When you take the gun that you already own to another state, there is no transfer of ownership occurring, so no FFL is required when you move the guns you own to another state, unless a state law requires it. If I remember correctly, when moving to New York state, state law requires you to obtain a New York permit before you bring your handguns into the state, and then they must go through a New York FFL, but I might be wrong on New York. California requires you to register the handguns you bring with you, but that is just a form and $19 each you send to the state, no FFL required.
    Not entirely correct. Depends on the firearm. I could not legally take all my firearms to say MD, DC, CA,MA or NJ to name a few as those states have bans on many of the firearms I own. The firearm in question must be LEGAL in the state your moving to. Otherwise your in trouble. If you own a firearm and the state your moving to allows it and requires no registration then your fine. You must meet the laws of the state your moving to.

Quote Originally Posted by accidentalfelon View Post
    You are now a felon. Call the police and ask them to come remove all prohibited weapons from your home for distribution among their friends.

But whatever you do, don't make any furtive moves. Your life isn't worth spit now.

Lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    He may have committed a felony but he isn't a felon until he has been convicted.

You should know that.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    He may have committed a felony but he isn't a felon until he has been convicted.

You should know that.

The great thinker awakes from his slumber.

I'm glad taking swipes at me brings meaning to your life.

That would be my answer, just put it in your trunck and take it home. I have several guns that are not registered and that is OK fine with me.

kerb is offline pinche gringo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by eagleeyes View Post
    if it were me i would just drive it back to s. carolina without telling anyone where it came from esp since there is no required registration there and frankly nobody's business ....
    That's what I'd do too. If that gun came from your Dad, it belongs to you.
    It may not be legal. Probably isn't. Seems right to me though.
    Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive.

1911 Headbanger is offline Leave Me Alone!!!

Some of you are making this way too complicated for the guy. He just asked a question. His Dad passed away in PA, his family gave him the gun. He took it back to S.C. where he resides. Neither of those states required registration. He doesn't live in New York, California, New Jersey or any other place with Soviet styled gun laws. No one even knows where the gun came from. He inherited it from his Dad. Enjoy your gun and memories of your Dad, and relax about the gun. Even if someone in authority ever asks where you got the gun, you tell them you inherited it from your Dad. Welcome to the South and Southern Gun laws. Now stop confusing the guy.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

maybejim is offline Maybejim

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Some people don't seem to be very interested in remaining "law abiding" citizens.
    Some laws don't seem to be very interested in the Constitution or what's right.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by 1911 Headbanger View Post
    Some of you are making this way too complicated for the guy. He just asked a question. His Dad passed away in PA, his family gave him the gun. He took it back to S.C. where he resides. Neither of those states required registration. He doesn't live in New York, California, New Jersey or any other place with Soviet styled gun laws. No one even knows where the gun came from. He inherited it from his Dad. Enjoy your gun and memories of your Dad, and relax about the gun. Even if someone in authority ever asks where you got the gun, you tell them you inherited it from your Dad. Welcome to the South and Southern Gun laws. Now stop confusing the guy.
    The law is VERY VERY VERY complicated. This is the line between the law abiding citizen and the criminal. Transporting firearms from a a state you do not live in to the one you do live in is illegal. Also the big point here he has stated he has done so on a public forum where it is pretty easy for the local le's the ATF or FBI to track him via his IP and show up at his door with his admission of the crime in hand already.

Quote Originally Posted by accidentalfelon View Post
    The great thinker awakes from his slumber.

I'm glad taking swipes at me brings meaning to your life.

It must have been an "accidental" swipe, because heaven forbid I take responsibility for my decisions "accidental" felon.

Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast