Semi-auto firearms
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Semi-auto firearms

This is a discussion on Semi-auto firearms within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Let's clarify shall we? We have some disinformation being spread in the forum about why AR15s are evil, the reason ...

Default Semi-auto firearms

Let's clarify shall we? We have some disinformation being spread in the forum about why AR15s are evil, the reason given is that they are different from "standard" semi-autos because they are "magazine fed and gas operated"

Other than belt fed semi-autos does anyone know of a semi-auto pistol or rifle that is not magazine fed and gas operated?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Default Semi-auto firearms

They all are magazine fed, but semi-autos can be tube fed and not have a detachable mag. Some can be tube fed. The real reason is that they look "Scary"!
    Guns.??? What Guns???

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    Let's clarify shall we? We have some disinformation being spread in the forum about why AR15s are evil, the reason given is that they are different from "standard" semi-autos because they are "magazine fed and gas operated"

Other than belt fed semi-autos does anyone know of a semi-auto pistol or rifle that is not magazine fed and gas operated?

Trollbee's crossbow?
    If it doesn't fit, FORCE it! If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway.

Default Re: Semi-auto firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamity023 View Post
    They all are magazine fed, but semi-autos can be tube fed and not have a detachable mag. Some can be tube fed. The real reason is that they look "Scary"!
    Just to clarify what you said, a semi can be fed from a tube magazine. They can also have a non detachable magazine lIkea an sks.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

I CZ82 is blowback operated
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I CZ82 is blowback operated
    And what causes the blowback?

Blow back, delayed blowback, direct impingment (AR15), piston..... they are all powered by...............?

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamity023 View Post
    The idea that they look scary is a conditioned response which is a result of anti-gun messages we see in our everyday lives. Its in the news, entertainment, advertisements etc. Its dog training...

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    And what causes the blowback?

Blow back, delayed blowback, direct impingment (AR15), piston..... they are all powered by...............?

I think you are confused a bit.

A gas operated firearm is one that directs expanding gases from the barrel of the gun to the locking mechanism to unlock the breach and allow the action to remove the spent case and load another round. An AR-15, AK-47, M1 Garand, etc are all examples of this. If you plug the valve that releases this gas, you will turn the gun into a single shot.

There is also straight blowback operated semi auto's which use the momentum of the bullet being fired to operate the mechanism. The breech is held closed by the weight of the slide and the strength of the spring. These guns rely on a large slide and stiff springs to operate. Due to the simplicity of engineering, they are cheaper pistols or smaller calibers. High Points, Jimenez, 10/22, Marlin Model 60 etc are examples of straight blowback.

Finally, there is locked breach. Here the barrel and slide are locked together until the bullet exits the barrel and then the recoil unlocks the breach and allows the slide to move backwards. Since there is a mechanical action that keeps the breach and barrel locked together, the spring and mass of the slide are not important so they can be build much lighter and with lighter springs.

The latter two are not operated by gas but by momentum.

Many modern semi-autos are considered "evil" or for "military use only" simply because of the way they look. Especially black telescoping stocks! Oh the horror!

Quote Originally Posted by thoricuncle View Post
    I think you are confused a bit.

A gas operated firearm is one that directs expanding gases from the barrel of the gun to the locking mechanism to unlock the breach and allow the action to remove the spent case and load another round. An AR-15, AK-47, M1 Garand, etc are all examples of this. If you plug the valve that releases this gas, you will turn the gun into a single shot.

There is also straight blowback operated semi auto's which use the momentum of the bullet being fired to operate the mechanism. The breech is held closed by the weight of the slide and the strength of the spring. These guns rely on a large slide and stiff springs to operate. Due to the simplicity of engineering, they are cheaper pistols or smaller calibers. High Points, Jimenez, 10/22, Marlin Model 60 etc are examples of straight blowback.

Finally, there is locked breach. Here the barrel and slide are locked together until the bullet exits the barrel and then the recoil unlocks the breach and allows the slide to move backwards. Since there is a mechanical action that keeps the breach and barrel locked together, the spring and mass of the slide are not important so they can be build much lighter and with lighter springs.

The latter two are not operated by gas but by momentum.
    No, when you think about the basic function, not the type, the recoil comes from where? The expanding gas expands the brass against the chamber and pushes the bullet down the barrel. Thus producing recoIl. The same recoil that does not exist if you fire a round that doesn't have powder. Same thing with a blowback design. It just utilizes the expanding gases in a different manner.

Direct impingment just utilizes the expanding gas in a different manner to cycle the action. It's not an evil rifle using demonic forces to cause death.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast