Biometric safe??

Biometric safe??

This is a discussion on Biometric safe?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I've been looking on-line for a small biometric safe for one handgun and maybe a few mags to mount in ...

Blog Entries

Default Biometric safe??

I've been looking on-line for a small biometric safe for one handgun and maybe a few mags to mount in a credenza behind my desk. My ideal mount would be clear to the back and secured to the underside of the credenza top. That way it would be very difficult to see and not easy to grab ahold of and rip away from it mount.

The safes I have been finding generally do not have specs on how they mount-mostly just say they can be secured. Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!
    "The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight."

Watch the mythbusters demo on defeating biometrics. Then get a nice safe. LOL

Mythbusting and Wired Magazine aside, we settled on two Barska biometric safes: the Barska Mini Biometric Safe for my wife's side of the bed, and its big brother for my side. Based on your mounting requirements, I'd say the Mini might be best.

Both safes have multiple holes in the back and the bottom for secure mounting in a multitude of positions.

- Dave

TheCocaColaSanta is offline Pistol Packing Santa

I am planning on getting one for myself. I did watch the Mythbusters episode on defeating biometrics that rahlquist mentioned. But as my main concern is my 5 year old grandson when he is visiting, and speedy access if I need it, I still believe that a biometric safe is the right choice for me. Plus, I really doubt that the average thief will have the ingenuity of the guys on Mythbusters.

This one might work in your credenza, but I am looking at their taller model that will hold up to four rifles. I'm not a hunter, so I don't see myself really needing anything bigger for myself.

Top Opening Biometric Drawer Safe by Barska - Products by BARSKA

Blog Entries

Dave, Good info. Does the mini have lights/beeps when opening? I'd want quiet and dark if I were opening it and trying to not be discovered.
    "The first requisite of a good citizen in this republic of ours is that he shall be able and willing to pull his own weight."

Barska is a good brand. I've had excellent consistency with it reading prints. We bought an elcheapo (ok, not really cheap, just not as expensive), and luckily it has a keypad backup, because the print reader is very finicky.

If anyone was really going to the trouble of stealing your prints just to get into a safe, they're not even going to bother with the prints when a hammer and crowbar is more accessible.
    "The whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought...by the year 2050, at the very latest, not a single human being will be alive who could understand such a conversation as we are having now...Orthodoxy means not thinking-not needing to think."

Quote Originally Posted by FNWylde View Post
    Dave, Good info. Does the mini have lights/beeps when opening? I'd want quiet and dark if I were opening it and trying to not be discovered.
    Both Barska safes beep by default, but can easily be disabled. The only light is the red glow from the fingerprint scanner and a short green flash to acknowledge unlocking the safe. 95% of the red scanner glow is blocked by your finger/thumb. IMHO, unlocking the safe is nice 'n covert.

- Dave

Default The BioBox Safe

I seen your post and I had to tell you about the biobox. If you go to Biobox - Intelligent Biometric Controls Store you can find all kinds of specs!

Quote Originally Posted by FNWylde View Post
    I've been looking on-line for a small biometric safe for one handgun and maybe a few mags to mount in a credenza behind my desk. My ideal mount would be clear to the back and secured to the underside of the credenza top. That way it would be very difficult to see and not easy to grab ahold of and rip away from it mount.

The safes I have been finding generally do not have specs on how they mount-mostly just say they can be secured. Anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!

Not biometric, but very quick access without beeps or lights and never requires batteries or electricity. This handgun safe is the heaviest you can buy (7ga steel) with many other unique features with security and safety in mind. No holes since you don't want any unused access holes avail. to someone who might want to try to defeat it. You can find plenty of videos showing how easy many are to get in because of a small hole or gap.
    You can mount vertically, horizontally, or even on it's end. Just drill the holes you need and get the appropriate hardware locally to secure it.