conceal carry for non-citizen permanent resident
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

conceal carry for non-citizen permanent resident

This is a discussion on conceal carry for non-citizen permanent resident within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; i am Canadian citizen living in US with green card. i came to apply for a CCW permit and the ...

Angry conceal carry for non-citizen permanent resident

i am Canadian citizen living in US with green card. i came to apply for a CCW permit and the lady told me that there is a Mississippi state law that only US citizens can conceal carry.
    i looked up online a bit and saw that this is ongoing problem and sometimes bureaucrats just make it harder without any reason and some states do have such laws and some people successfully challenged their state law in court.
    so my questions are:
    1. can somebody in similar situation share your experience or send me some pointers please.
    2. what are the states that do not have citizenship requirements?
    3. if i get non-resident permit from the state that does not have citizenship requirement will it be valid in other states?
    thanks a lot

well I can't speak for many states... but I know where I live in michigan a resident alien can get a ccw permit without being a citizen. I know there are actually quite a few states that offer the same.. I don't have a list of them unfortunately.

by the way welcome to the site!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

LeavingMass is offline Pro2a

If you're an alien ( non-citizen , permanent resident alien) , you can NOT carry in Massachusetts without permission from Mass officials
    And they will not allow you to conceal carry, you can carry (locked in automobile ) to shooting competition etc..

Mass SUCKS big time

Quote Originally Posted by LeavingMass View Post
    If you're an alien ( non-citizen , permanent resident alien) , you can NOT carry in Massachusetts without permission from Mass officials
    And they will not allow you to conceal carry, you can carry (locked in automobile ) to shooting competition etc..

Mass SUCKS big time
    And good luck getting a carry permit if you ARE a U.S. citizen. I would have loved one as I frequently worked nights and graveyard in Boston, but fuggetaboutit.

Quote Originally Posted by Packingpadre View Post
    And good luck getting a carry permit if you ARE a U.S. citizen. I would have loved one as I frequently worked nights and graveyard in Boston, but fuggetaboutit.
    Thats the truth! I know your pain. I have only a Class B LTC because they would not even let me apply for Class A LTC. Head to NH. They are much better!
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

I can not find any thing on it in NH. You would have to call the State police. But i do not think you can in NH but i am not sure call them up and ask.

THEY MAY TAKE OUR LIVES BUT THEY'LL NEVER TAKE OUR FREEDOM!!!!!

I've heard that this might change.. but as of right now utah will issue a permit to any legal resident of any state including resident aliens. to get a utah permit you need to attend a class by a utah ccw instructor. might be the best way to go. and I think a non resident utah permit gives you 28 states you can legally carry in. good luck!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

thanks.
    say, if i carry in MS or any other state with non-citizen restriction and cops just want to check if i have a permit to carry i may be able to get away with Utah permit but if i have to use the gun which law do you think will take precedence in court - the one that allows me to carry with Utah permit or the one that doesn't allow me to carry in the state being non-citizen? i'm afraid not to my favor. not fair.

If you're legal to carry with your UT non-res permit, then you would be legal to use the weapon according to the self-defense guidelines of the state in which you use it. Legal advice on that topic wouldn't be a bad idea. (That's double-ggod advice in MS. The MS legislature once heard about the Law of Gravity. They weren't sure what it was, but they knew THEY didn't pass it. So they repealed it.)

I take it you are a naturalized Canadian citizen. How easy is it for an American to get a Canadian carry permit? How about your original country? (These are rhetorical questions.) Having a UT permit sounds pretty good to me.
    Last edited by Shoots Running; 10-05-2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: addition

tattedupboy is offline Thank God I'm alive!

Quote Originally Posted by LeavingMass View Post

Mass SUCKS big time
    or for that matter if you are a citizen. And you should have referred to it as (Massa)chussetts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast