Differences between handgun primers and tips on reloading

Differences between handgun primers and tips on reloading

This is a discussion on Differences between handgun primers and tips on reloading within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; I'm very interested in getting started reloading (carry a 9mm right now, about to buy a .40-cal) and want to ...

Default Differences between handgun primers and tips on reloading

I'm very interested in getting started reloading (carry a 9mm right now, about to buy a .40-cal) and want to get a jump-start by stocking up on primers of calibers I don't have yet but intend to buy, and I'm noticing all kinds of different varieties that look like a foreign language. For example, I came across Remington Large Pistol Primers Type 2-1/2--what's a Type 2-1/2?? I realize primers have gone up quite a bit in price over the past year or so and that I might be getting into the game kind of late (only had a handgun for about 10 months) but I want to get moving on reloading supplies while they're not exorbitantly priced. Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated.

A good site to get reloading info is jeffersonian.therealgunguys.com at the bottom of the page click on reloading info he describes what he recommends and has links to pages that show step by step reloading different cartages may not answer specific question about primers but real helpful if you are going to get into reloading
    DEMOCRACY-three wolves and a sheep voting on whats for dinner REPUBLIC- the sheep get to elect which wolves get to decide what's for dinner CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC-voting on whats for dinner is strictly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

In your case there is really only large and small pistol primers. You don't have to worry about anything else. You don't need or want magnum primers unless you have large magnum pistol (like a 454 or a 50 ). When I loaded for automatic pistols that I shot I got very tired of finding and picking up my empties. Now I just load for my revolvers not my autos.

In terms of primer types, which calibers would be considered large-pistol and which ones would be small-pistol?

Small for 380--9mm--38/357
    Large for 45ACP
    I don't load 40 so I'm not sure what size for those

Small pistol for .40.
    Preserve the 2nd amendment and firearms, THE NRA NEEDS YOU NOW!
    May the happiest day of your past, be the saddest day or your future.
    Today is the very first day of the rest of your life!