Australian Shooter Magazine

This is a discussion on Australian Shooter Magazine within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; In a message dated 6/23/2009 12:03:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bobjaxbch@comcast.net writes: Australian Shooter Magazine An interesting letter in the ...

Default Australian Shooter Magazine

In a message dated 6/23/2009 12:03:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, bobjaxbch@comcast.net writes:

An interesting letter in the Australian Shooter Magazine this week, which I quote: "If you consider that there has been an average of 160,000 troops in the Iraq theater of operations during the past 22 months, and a total of 2112 deaths, that gives a firearm death rate of 60 per 100,000 soldiers.

The firearm death rate in Washington, DC is 80.6 per 100,000 for the same period. That means you are about 25 per cent more likely to be shot and killed in the US capital, which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the US , than you are in Iraq .

Conclusion: The US should pull out of Washington
    Last edited by RRichards3; 06-24-2009 at 03:05 PM. Reason: CHANGE TITLE

That's a very interesting stat that I'm sure the All-Barack Channel (ABC) would never reveal.

However, just the title of the post made me curious - as I thought the "Australian Shooter" was a joke in itself... speaking of gun control.
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

Can anyone confirm this stat? Because if so I would love to use it during an "anti" confrontation haha
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

If true it makes for a good rebuttal.
    Preserve the 2nd amendment and firearms, THE NRA NEEDS YOU NOW!
    May the happiest day of your past, be the saddest day or your future.
    Today is the very first day of the rest of your life!

Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    Can anyone confirm this stat? Because if so I would love to use it during an "anti" confrontation haha
    As bad as DC is it is about 5% as dangerous
    Google Answers: Firearm Death Rate in Washington, D.C.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMc View Post
    As bad as DC is it is about 5% as dangerous
    Google Answers: Firearm Death Rate in Washington, D.C.
    The statistical models being used by both presentations leave a LOT to be desired.
    You have to remember that most of the deaths in Iraq are caused by roadside bombs, not guns. None of these comparisons are worth anything.

Not only that, but the number for the death rate of Iraq per year using their own number is 604.9 deaths per year, so there is a misplaced decimal and then it's rounded down. Whether this is intentional or not is something I leave up to you to decide.

It's like comparing apples to oranges, then rebutting it by comparing grapes to watermelons.