First firearm purchase in Washington...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First firearm purchase in Washington...

This is a discussion on First firearm purchase in Washington... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; First off let me say that i am delighted to have found this wonderful forum. This is my my first ...

Default First firearm purchase in Washington...

First off let me say that i am delighted to have found this wonderful forum. This is my my first post, and i am new to firearms in general.

I have just moved to Washington, after living in NYC for 22 years. I have always wanted to, but assumed due to the nature of NYC's extremely strict gun laws, that i would never own a gun, and the closest i would get would be going to a shooting range in manhattan.
    But anyways, im here now in a very gun friendly state, and i cant get the idea of owning my first gun out of my head! heres my question:

I've read tons of articles and forum post all over the internet, yet i am still confused on how i would go about getting a firearm here in WA. Im going to be very specific so i can get accurate advice.

I have lived here 44 days. I have just yesterday ( my 43rd day here ) gotten my State ID. I am 22. I have no felonies, my slate is clean, i have never been arrested, etc.

I have been told and read that i must be a resident for 90 days prior to purchasing a gun. What constitutes as being a resident? I moved here with the intentions of living here permanantly, i have changed my address with the USPS a while ago, but i am not yet listed as a tenant ( will get that done in the next days ).
    Does a USPS change of address satisfy towards proof of residency, or that i have been here or plan on living here permanantly or at least for 6 months?

Had i gotten my state ID when i had arrived, i would be halfway towards that 90 day rule. But since i havent, will i really have to wait until November 26 to get my gun?

I have read that if i aqquire my CPL, that my wait will be shortened to 60 days, or that once i get my CPL i can purchase my gun. Is this accurate?

I would be very content applying for my CPL to get my gun faster, would i have any trouble getting that, being a new resident? Since i only have a temp state ID right now, should i wait till i get my official one in the mail?

Thank you!

No one can answer your questions fully, we don't work for the State of Washington or a Washington gun dealer, so we'd be guessing.

If you have a Washington CCW permit you probably can get a gun immediately, as it waives your background check....at least it does here in Idaho.

Depending on the law enforcement agency you apply at, you'll get your CCW permit in 1-4 weeks. I got my non-resident in Spokane in 3 weeks, and of course that's without a WDL as I'm an Idaho resident.

I would assume without the permit you will have to wait the full 90 days until your WDL reflects you've been in the state that long. Sometimes you can't rush bureaucracy. The only way to know however is to go into a gun shop and ask. Good luck.

ok, well i went and applied for my Concealed Permit and they said it should it take 2-3 weeks. Regardless, im excited that the process is underway. ill let u guys know how it goes

LiveBlues is offline Chuck & Ted 2012

You should still be able to purchase a gun, even if you don't have a concealed carry permit.

i realized that through a private sale i could purchase a gun, as long as both the seller and the buyer are residents of WA

There is no minimum time residency requirement in Washington. With your Washington ID, you can buy a rifle or a shotgun from a dealer and walk out with it the same day regardless of how long you have had the ID card. Handguns have a 5 day waiting period IF you have a state ID card that is greater than 90 days old and do NOT have a cpl. If you have a Washington State ID Card that is less than 90 days old and do NOT have a cpl, the waiting period for the handgun goes up to 60 days. Once you get your cpl, the handgun waiting period goes away regardless of the age of your ID card. This is in RCW 9.41.090:
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.090

Private sales can be done between Washington residents with no waiting period, no paperwork required, and no minimum time of residency requirements.

Open carry is also legal in Washington state! You can walk down the street with a gun in a holster on your belt, out in the wide open!

If you have any other Washington questions, just ask! Either PM or post on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiofan View Post
    No one can answer your questions fully, we don't work for the State of Washington or a Washington gun dealer, so we'd be guessing.
    No, we wouldn't be guessing. It's in a very easy to understand statute and dealers don't necessarily know the laws either, BTW.

Ok so i got a call from local sheriff today, asking if i had been a resident of WA for 90 consecutive days. Since i told him i have only been here about 50 days, he told me that he would put my license application on hold for 40 days, on the 40th day he would then submit it for review.
    Now im not sure if this is him flexing his muscle, because under chapter RCW 9.41.070:

The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a
    county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of
    any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed
    on his or her person within this state for five years from date of
    issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business,
    sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a
    valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state
    identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the
    previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up
    to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license.

The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications
    for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours.

Now it seems to me, that to apply for and be elligible ofr a CPL, one must have a state ID or be a resident for 90 days. the key here, is or. if it were nessecary to meet all the requirements, it would say and. I meet the requirement of having a state id, of being a legal, registered resident of the state. The 90 days residency would seem to apply for a resident who is not planning on residing there for more than 6 months or so.

Also, it states that if i dont meet the requirements for a CPL, that the issuing authority will have up to 60 days after the filing of the application to issue a license.

chime in and tell me if my rights are being violated!

this sucks...i found a glock 17 at a local shop for 375! WTF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast