Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap (Jennings arms pistol malfunction?) - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap (Jennings arms pistol malfunction?)

This is a discussion on Three People Injured in Florida Gun Range Mishap (Jennings arms pistol malfunction?) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; Originally Posted by Red Hat What is it with Fl and shooting range mishaps? I was thinking the same thing. ...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    What is it with Fl and shooting range mishaps?
    I was thinking the same thing. I wish I could just get my own land to go shooting on by myself! One day...

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Quote Originally Posted by DougG View Post
    Read the orgional and all other posts; the gun was pointed down range and went off by its self.
    Ok, I'm confused again.

If the gun was pointed "downrange", HOW did the bullet go through the booth wall and hit the guy in the next stall?

According to the post, the gun was not being used at the time of the ND, correct?

Isn't another "gun safety" rule to unload your gun and keep the action open when it is NOT being used? (As an RSO, that's one of our ranges safety rules.)

SO:

How could the gun discharge ALL by itself if it was unloaded and the action opened?

In summary, Jennings may be a crappy firearm.

BUT!!!

If the shooter had followed the two "SAFETY" rules above:
    1. "keeping the gun pointed downrange
    AND
    2. keep the gun unloaded it IF it was not in use at the time",

I just can't see HOW this accident could have happened; no matter how crappy a Jennings firearm happens to be. This article seems to be just another "Guns are evil" story.

Anyway, I hope the people will be ok. I also think the blame should rest on the person who was in charge of the gun.

(By any definition, this was a "Negligent" discharge of a firearm.)

Safety rules

1. keep the gun pointed downrange

2. keep the gun unloaded
    3. Don't use a Jennings.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I was thinking the same thing. I wish I could just get my own land to go shooting on by myself! One day...

My cousin lives a few miles up the road from me, on 250 acres. He has a working cannon that he fires once in a while. I told him that in New Jersey, that would be frowned upon. Still, he goes to a range to shoot.

I've taken apart a Jennings or two,,,,IMHO they make fair to middlin trot line weights. Hope the "victims" all recover asap.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBoy View Post

My cousin lives a few miles up the road from me, on 250 acres. He has a working cannon that he fires once in a while. I told him that in New Jersey, that would be frowned upon. Still, he goes to a range to shoot.
    250 acres... now there's a nice dream that will hopefully come true.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

MADnMO is offline Jesus - Our Greatest HOPE

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Ok, I'm confused again.

If the gun was pointed "downrange", HOW did the bullet go through the booth wall and hit the guy in the next stall?

According to the post, the gun was not being used at the time of the ND, correct?

Isn't another "gun safety" rule to unload your gun and keep the action open when it is NOT being used? (As an RSO, that's one of our ranges safety rules.)

SO:

How could the gun discharge ALL by itself if it was unloaded and the action opened?

BUT!!!

AND

I just can't see HOW this accident could have happened; no matter how crappy a Jennings firearm happens to be. This article seems to be just another "Guns are evil" story.

Anyway, I hope the people will be ok. I also think the blame should rest on the person who was in charge of the gun.

I am not disagreeing with any point you have made but I would just like to make the following comment.

I have 13 year old twins sons, one of which is not strong enough to always rack the slide on some of my handguns. Because of this I will load the gun, rack the slide and lay the gun down with it pointing down range for him to pick up and shoot.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Ok, I'm confused again.

SO:

BUT!!!

AND

Read post #4 and #9.

bill

Quote Originally Posted by MADnMO View Post
    I am not disagreeing with any point you have made but I would just like to make the following comment.

I have 13 year old twins sons, one of which is not strong enough to always rack the slide on some of my handguns. Because of this I will load the gun, rack the slide and lay the gun down with it pointing down range for him to pick up and shoot.
    Another "safer" option would be training him to shoot a revolver.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

MADnMO is offline Jesus - Our Greatest HOPE

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Another "safer" option would be training him to shoot a revolver.

gf
    True. However I don't own any revolvers and it is only a matter of time before he can do it consistently.

Besides most of my handguns are Glocks and they don't go off by themselves.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast