NYC undercover stings expose "gun show loophole"
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NYC undercover stings expose "gun show loophole"

This is a discussion on NYC undercover stings expose "gun show loophole" within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Main Category category; NEW YORK — Investigators hired by New York City conducted stings at gun shows in states that have not closed ...

Default NYC undercover stings expose "gun show loophole"

NEW YORK — Investigators hired by New York City conducted stings at gun shows in states that have not closed the "gun show loophole" and found some vendors openly selling weapons to buyers who admitted they couldn't pass background checks.

The stings, described in a city report released Wednesday, were conducted at seven gun shows in Tennessee, Ohio and Nevada. Those states are among the many that permit private unlicensed dealers, known as "occasional sellers," to sell weapons at gun shows without conducting background checks.

Read More

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

The stings, described in a city report released Wednesday, were conducted at seven gun shows in Tennessee, Ohio and Nevada. Those states are among the many that permit private unlicensed dealers, known as "occasional sellers," to sell weapons at gun shows without conducting background checks.

So what's the problem? No laws have been broken.

The investigators went to the shows to see whether sellers would engage in two types of illegal transactions. The first involves private sellers selling guns to people who they thought could not pass a federal background check. The investigators would offer to purchase a weapon, then tell the seller that they probably couldn’t pass a background check.
    Well, what do they propose to do about this? Many people, including my own mother (may she rest in peace) don't think they can pass a check, due to things that are petty. Even then, the "criminals" are just going to start keeping their mouths shut when buying from a private individual instead of stating such. This won't fix a thing.
    Gun control: Forcing a 95lb woman to fist fight a 300lb rapist

Just Mayor Bloomberg trying to show he can buy or try to buy with his millions or should I say BILLIONS of dollars.

He is a proven anti-gunner and has the bucks to try to sway the nation.

calvin is offline Benevolent Overlord

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    NEW YORK ó Investigators hired by New York City conducted stings at gun shows in states that have not closed the "gun show loophole" and found some vendors openly selling weapons to buyers who admitted they couldn't pass background checks.

Read More
    Of course this whole "loophole" nonsense is about removing the last mechanism by which guns can be transferred "off the grid": private transfers. Once that's done, basically all guns will be transferred through FFL's. Even without national gun registration the ATF can still inspect that paperwork (4473's) anytime they want, scan the forms, etc.
    Calvin Redding

Not that there not enough wrong with what bloomberg has done to push more gun control but does anyone else see something wrong with the mayor and law enforcment of New York conducting stings in other states. then demanding those state fix or change there laws. Someone please remind him he didn't win potus and to keep his goons in New York.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I watched the video and on two of the sales it showed the man paying with cash " FROM the sellers POV so that tells me it buyers and sellers where staged. why would the sellers be filming the sale ? It just looks kinda fishy to me.
    [

The term 'loophole' is used by people who want to make currently legal activities illegal. It's not a loophole---it's legal.

Bloomberg has a history of conspiracy to break the laws of states and his status as a wealthy pro-big-government mayor has kept him from being charged with his crimes.

It's unfortunately to live in a nation that has forgotten its most important document.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Since all of us here know that the phrase "Gun show Loophole" is a misleading term, and that the rules are the same weather you are at a gun show or in your back yard, I'd like to focus on a couple other points...

The undercover operation took place from about May to August and its $1.5 million cost was paid by city taxpayers. The city hired a team of 40 private investigators from an outside firm to make the purchases.
    Is there no one in NYC who objects to their outrageously high taxes being used in this manner.
    The sting comes three years after Bloomberg's administration conducted a similar operation focusing on illegal straw purchases at gun shops in Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia that authorities believe were responsible for selling guns used in crimes in New York City. (A straw purchase is when one person fills out the paperwork and buys the gun for somebody else.)

Bloomberg's administration brought a civil case against 27 gun dealers targeted in its 2006 investigation.

As a result of the suit, 20 dealers are being monitored by a court-appointed special master. One is out of business, two more are expected to be put under monitoring agreements and three were dropped from the suit. A final dealer settled with the city but the terms did not include a monitor.

Investigators in this year's sting also attempted straw purchases at gun shows, and were successful 16 out of 17 times.
    Can someone explain to me exactly how a gun shop is responsible for a straw purchase? Unless the purchaser came right out and announced that it was for someone else, and even that isn't illegal in most states. (I.E. In PA I may purchase a hand gun as a gift for my wife, father, or grandfather, as long as I do not suspect that they are ineligible to possess one. Many other states have similar rules.)
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

The fact that they admit to doing a straw purchase should have got them in some hot water is that not illegal. I know it is in Ohio. So they come to this state commit a crime go back to NY and we are the bad guys. That just donít add up.Total BS!
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast