.45 Colt reloading

.45 Colt reloading

This is a discussion on .45 Colt reloading within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; Hello, I'm new to this site. I've reloaded for 30 years and for different rounds. I have .357, .44 mag ...

Default .45 Colt reloading

Hello, I'm new to this site. I've reloaded for 30 years and for different rounds. I have .357, .44 mag handguns no problem for these. But with the .45, .451 bullets slip in the brass. I bought .452 size and will try these later today. New brass, Remington, Hornaday bullets. New Hornady dies, also. Any ideas?? Thanks, GTODAVE.

Sometimes a roll crimp won't tighten enough to hold the bullet tight. I use Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Dies to make sure they stay tight in the brass. You can get one for around $15 at MidwayUSA. I've started using them on just about everything I reload. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=217484

EDIT: Corrected the URL
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Check your dies and the neck expander plug. There are still dies made and many around that are for .454 diameter bullets. It could be your cases have the neck expanded to large. The original diameter for .45 "Long" Cold was .454. In relatively recent times, the diameter was changed to .452 just like the 45 ACP. I had an expander stem I had to chuck in a drill press and reduce the diameter using emery paper. It was time consuming but more precise than a file that cuts to fast.
    Help your own self - the Government is busy takin' care of itself!
    Retired LEO

these .452 bullets loaded just fine. 22 grains of IMR 4227 with a 200 gr. FTX should be good.

I use the Lee dies also and they work great for the 45LC.

I got a Lee press with the .45 long Colt die set for Christmas. I've loaded and shot about 100 rounds with it since then (I was excited...) and haven't had any problems. I had a friend who has been doing this for years help me out with it, and we were both very satisfied with the results.

I load 45lc and .452 seats perfect, check your sizing die. It could be over sized and not sizing the brass down like it should. I use rcbs dies and never had a problem .I load any where from 195gr to 325 grain bullets. never had a problem.FYI

Quote Originally Posted by gtodave View Post
    Hello, I'm new to this site. I've reloaded for 30 years and for different rounds. I have .357, .44 mag handguns no problem for these. But with the .45, .451 bullets slip in the brass. I bought .452 size and will try these later today. New brass, Remington, Hornaday bullets. New Hornady dies, also. Any ideas?? Thanks, GTODAVE.
    are you sizing the new brass? if not that's your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by thegundoctor View Post
    are you sizing the new brass? if not that's your problem.
    That gets my vote, too. .451 bullets should shoot fine through the gun. Most of the virgin brass I've gotten in .45 Colt (and I've been reloading it since the early '90's) needed to be resized no matter what manufacturer made it. The change to a .451 bore from the original .454 happened when the .45 colt production was resumed after WWII. (Kinda makes sense because there was a LOT of .451 barrel making equipment sitting idle.) Yes, you can still get .454 expander plugs, but last time I heard, you gotta order them.