DRT Ammo

DRT Ammo

This is a discussion on DRT Ammo within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; Anyone familiar with DRT .380 ammo (feeding issues etc.) ?...

Default DRT Ammo

Anyone familiar with DRT .380 ammo (feeding issues etc.) ?

No personal experience with Dynamic Research Technologies (or as some claim, Dead Right There) ammo. But I'd say the MOST important thing about any ammo is that it absolutely, positively WILL feed in YOUR particular gun when held and fired by you. Terminal ballistic discussions aside, I'd go with the old standard that if you can run 200 rounds without a hiccup, then your gun is 99½% reliable. Even if ten other guys with the same model pistol say it works for them, test for yourself before you carry it.

I guess I'm living in the past. I still have 85 grain Silvertips in my .380 Walther.
    “The police of a State should never be stronger or better armed than the citizenry. An armed citizenry, willing to fight is the foundation of civil freedom.” Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Felix View Post
    No personal experience with Dynamic Research Technologies (or as some claim, Dead Right There) ammo. But I'd say the MOST important thing about any ammo is that it absolutely, positively WILL feed in YOUR particular gun when held and fired by you. Terminal ballistic discussions aside, I'd go with the old standard that if you can run 200 rounds without a hiccup, then your gun is 99½% reliable. Even if ten other guys with the same model pistol say it works for them, test for yourself before you carry it.

I guess I'm living in the past. I still have 85 grain Silvertips in my .380 Walther.
    DRT? Dynamic Research Technologies?? I thought it was Dead Right There!

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries

I'm thinking that as light as a .380 bullet is and traveling as slow as it would be from a barrel that's likely less than 3" (in most cases) lack of penetration would be a paramount concern. You'd want to hit something very important to the thug so you'd want to reach major vessels/heart if not the spinal column (if a lucky shot) or his head and get through the skull if you miss his face. This is why many will recommend a FMJ in a .380, for penetration.

DRT ammo does the opposite by "exploding" the particles that make up the bullet almost immediately upon impact. Yes, it deposits all energy but likely not deep enough to disrupt the perp's "attack support system". (Don't ya hate that kind of writing?)

I'm no expert, but doesn't it just make sense to want some penetration to stop an attack? It may be that you get off one or two shots is all before you are reached with a knife, for example, and if one of the shots has to go through his arm to reach some vitals, will it? A FMJ might, maybe. Now if a .380 round hits the breaks (expands) in the arm I doubt it'd reach anything worthwhile in his torso unless he weighs 85 lbs, ya know?

The "DRT" round? ...Not for me, thank you, in any handgun caliber unless your after racoons or something such, and not wanting to eat them.

Just my .02.
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Dead Right There is just the name someone tagged because of the stopping power and massive tissue damage caused by the round.