i am new reloader ''lee progressive 1000 38 caliber reloader"
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hyperdog
  • 1 Post By Mobuck

i am new reloader ''lee progressive 1000 38 caliber reloader"

This is a discussion on i am new reloader ''lee progressive 1000 38 caliber reloader" within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; really having trouble with duds this is a new reloader we have had enough trouble may quit using it...

Default i am new reloader ''lee progressive 1000 38 caliber reloader"

really having trouble with duds this is a new reloader we have had enough trouble may quit using it

You are the first I have heard with problems on this loading system. I have the single stage. I don't know why the other would be bad. The biggest thing I have learned is to go slow.
    YMMV

Psalm 82:3-5

Default Need some more info

What do you mean by "duds"? Is the primer firing and giving you squib ( bullet stuck in barrel) or just a click when expecting a bang?

Eric

I have a Lee progressive,, nothing but trouble at first, then I went to youtube and watched all the videos on that press.. The guy the posted the videos is Sflib or something close to that..think he is loading .38s if I remember correctly. I did the detail strip of the press, lubed it like he said.. I did replace the chain with picture frame wire and a crimp fitting, then I did one function at a time.. 1st Decapped 100,
    disabled the deprimer then primed 100, then dropped powder, weighing the first 3 or 4 then spot checked every 10 or so, finally started loading live rounds, measured OAL on each of the first 20, then weighed the loaded rounds, each round was within .2 of each other ( using the same brass) any that were over or under I pulled and used a bullet puller on em.
    I visually check each round before dropping a bullet into the final stage. Now it runs like a champ.. couple of tips,, mount to a solid bench, and keep the primer tray more then half full and I use a thick plastic coffee straw to assist the primer feed. If you at least watch the videos that will be a big help and go slow and understand what is going on at each step.

Progressive is not a way to start. Too many factors you need to pay attention to and if you slip on one you will be pulling a bunch of bullets.

I started with a turret and that was perfect. Now that I have the knowledge behind me and know what to look for I plan to upgrade to progressive. Most likely the Loadmaster.
    Be cool and eat fruit!

Like the previous post, a progressive is NOT the way to start out.
    Need a lot more info to be much help. I use the LEE 1000 to load but have made numerous mods and don't use all the features on the machine.

I deprime,size, and reprime as separate operations and use a custom"super sizer" on the 1000 first position.

I have the Lee Pro 1000 for the .44spl/.44mag which works well when going slow and paying attention. I also given dies for .40s&w, 9mm and .45colt and had no issues once set up properly. Definitely wouldn't recommend progressive press for beginners but will be upgrading to a Loadmaster soon.

for stright wall cases hard to beat a Dillion square deal. you can be loading good ammo within an hour. If you also want to load rifle I'd recommend the Dillion 550B without the case feeders just the reg press. and still be loading in an hour or less. Lees and Hornady lnl all seem to be a pain in the a$$. Telling me you saved $$$ with them and not loading shotable ammo is not a solution it's a problem.
    If you served in any branch of the Military, THANK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by shooter57 View Post
    for stright wall cases hard to beat a Dillion square deal. you can be loading good ammo within an hour. If you also want to load rifle I'd recommend the Dillion 550B without the case feeders just the reg press. and still be loading in an hour or less. Lees and Hornady lnl all seem to be a pain in the a$$. Telling me you saved $$$ with them and not loading shotable ammo is not a solution it's a problem.
    I will never spend the money for dillon. Lee makes my rounds work and they work every time, for about 1/4 the equipment price. Spent $100 for my classic turret and has more than paid for itself.

Not loading shootable ammo is not the equipment, it's the operator!
    Be cool and eat fruit!

The material that comes from Lee on how to use the press is not the best. I have all of the videos from You Tube and watch them all the time.load 9mm, 38 SPC, 357 Mag, and 45 LC. Many of the folks that have made the videos have shown some good ticks and actual improvements. The key is to know each station very well, know what the press feels like and to make sure that everything is set correctly and that you don't run low on primers and that you check the powder often to make sure it is working correctly. Keep the machine clean and (oiled every 1000 rounds)