Hornady Critical Defense vs Critical Duty
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Hornady Critical Defense vs Critical Duty

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense vs Critical Duty within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; Has anyone looked into the new critical duty line by Hornady? They look to me to be like a cross ...

Default Hornady Critical Defense vs Critical Duty

Has anyone looked into the new critical duty line by Hornady? They look to me to be like a cross between their Critical Defense line and Speer Gold Dots. The best of both worlds! My question is... Hornady says they were not optimized for short barreled concealed carry guns like Critical Defense was, which leads me to think that they will just have quite a bit more recoil, but should n every bit as reliable as far as expansion is concerned, being that both bullets use the flex tip technology. That being the case, I'd like them because I'm fine with the recoil. I want full powered loads...

I have not seen them yet. But i think they may be referring to the actual shape. Critical defenseis almost triangle shape and loads and ejects easily in my tcp but broader hollow points seems to have issues.

Wonder if the bad guy on the business end would really care what he was just shot with ;-)

think their shapes r similar too. i think the major differences r that the critical duty is hotter, heavier and has a bonded core

With my limited knowledge, I would think that if it wasn't optimized for short barrels it wouldn't have the muzzle velocity and energy that it could have. I'll stick with Critical Defense until I see that I need a law enforcement cartridge. I my opinion, self defense needs are completely different from Law Enforcement needs.

true, he probably wouldn't care which is which, but i like knowing i'm packing as much heat as i can conceal, just yo b sure!

Critical Duty looks to be what critical defense should have been.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

I read an article about the Critical Duty ammo. At the moment my aging teflon coated cranial velcro doesn't remember which magazine had it. The bottom line of the article was that Critical Duty was a good LEO round, able to pass the entire FBI test regimen of barriers and clothes - maybe the only ammo that has passed so far. Very good for LEO's who might have to shoot through barriers like that, but clearly more penetration than 99.99% of SD situations need and therefore an over penetration liability for civillian concealed carry.

It sounded to me like Critical Duty might be good winter carry ammo in areas where folks wear a lot of heavy winter clothes, Carthartt Jackets, erc. Personally, I'd have a hard time living with killing or gravely injuring some innocent person beyond the bad guy because of over penetration. Critical Defense was designed with civillian concealed carry as the target market. Critical duty was designed with LEO's as the target market though it is also available for sale to civillians.

Envision a lawyer riding on the nose of every bullet you shoot. Pick your pony, take your ride.

Fitch

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I read an article about the Critical Duty ammo. At the moment my aging teflon coated cranial velcro doesn't remember which magazine had it. The bottom line of the article was that Critical Duty was a good LEO round, able to pass the entire FBI test regimen of barriers and clothes - maybe the only ammo that has passed so far. Very good for LEO's who might have to shoot through barriers like that, but clearly more penetration than 99.99% of SD situations need and therefore an over penetration liability for civillian concealed carry.

It sounded to me like Critical Duty might be good winter carry ammo in areas where folks wear a lot of heavy winter clothes, Carthartt Jackets, erc. Personally, I'd have a hard time living with killing or gravely injuring some innocent person beyond the bad guy because of over penetration. Critical Defense was designed with civillian concealed carry as the target market. Critical duty was designed with LEO's as the target market though it is also available for sale to civillians.

Envision a lawyer riding on the nose of every bullet you shoot. Pick your pony, take your ride.

Fitch
    Exactly. Critical Duty is literally overkill for self defense applications. As somebody else in another review said it, you can't seriously want to shoot thru barriers in a self defense situation. That would most likely turn the self defense into a gunfight.

Turn it into a gun fight AND a prison term more than likely.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast