10mm personal protection ammo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

10mm personal protection ammo

This is a discussion on 10mm personal protection ammo within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; I am very new to conceal carry and I just got a Glock 29 10mm because I am an avid ...

Default 10mm personal protection ammo

I am very new to conceal carry and I just got a Glock 29 10mm because I am an avid Bowhunter and wanted something for woods protection as well as something I could CC. Does anyone out there have any experience in this round for a CC round? One that is less likely to over penetrate and cause more trouble?

I have heard really great things about double tap Hardcast ammo for hunting applications but haven't found much for CC ammo.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Model 29 S&W will give you more protection in the sticks. Nothing like a 300gn plowing towards the assailant choose your poison. 10 mm very snappy.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Recently some idiot opined how bears are immune to large caliber bullets, but curl up and die from pepper spray.

Maybe you need OC spray instead of a 10mm!

-Doc

The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Quote Originally Posted by silentarcher83 View Post
    I am very new to conceal carry and I just got a Glock 29 10mm because I am an avid Bowhunter and wanted something for woods protection as well as something I could CC. Does anyone out there have any experience in this round for a CC round? One that is less likely to over penetrate and cause more trouble?

I have heard really great things about double tap Hardcast ammo for hunting applications but haven't found much for CC ammo.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.
    You might want to consider a Lone Wolf 'conversion barrel'.
    I do believe that Lone Wolf makes conversion barrels to be able to switch the stock 10 mm Glock into a .40 s&w caliber. Then you could use both the 10mm barrel when you are out hunting and then switch it to the .40 s&w conversion barrel for self defense purposes.

The Lone Wolf conversion barrels sell for around $120.00 bucks.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...rsion+Barrels/
    Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

I carry a Glock 20,10mm as my favorite defensive firearm,especially in the winter. It is also my favorite firearm for woods carry. With the right ammo,it will do almost anything you need it to do. I usually carry 135gr Cor-Bons in it during the summer(when I am able to conceal it),and change over to 150gr in the winter for more penetration of heavier clothing worn then. According to test I've seen,neither round will exit the body. I've also viewed some test of the Double Tap Ammo on You Tube. It is very impressive,indeed. One video tested the 135gr,hp against a beef heart,placed behind some ribs,with a jug of gelaton in front,covered in several layers of cloth. The results were awesome. The bullet penetrated thru to the heart,totally destroying it,but not exiting the test media. I will be trying this ammo out in the near future.
    Other companies also load 10mm ammo that is not much more powerful than the .40S&W. Or,as another poster stated,get an extra barrel from one of the companies that sell conversion barrells for the .40.

Great reply Wooddoctor.. the question wasn't which pistol he should have bought instead. I bowhunt in an area with a lot of wild hogs. I have been charged by a large boar in the dark. 10mm CorBon 200gr RNPN penetrating round stopped it. I've used my S&W model 29 Classic Deluxe too, but good luck with your hearing if you don't have time to get your earplugs in (which you usually don't if it is a self defense scenario ). Congratulations on your new Glock..

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outlaw View Post
    You might want to consider a Lone Wolf 'conversion barrel'.
    I do believe that Lone Wolf makes conversion barrels to be able to switch the stock 10 mm Glock into a .40 s&w caliber. Then you could use both the 10mm barrel when you are out hunting and then switch it to the .40 s&w conversion barrel for self defense purposes.

The Lone Wolf conversion barrels sell for around $120.00 bucks.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...rsion+Barrels/

That's actually a very good idea

For a 10mm I prefer a HE107 shell, fuze quick and charge 7 whitebag. ymmv
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I have been using the HPR stuff out of AZ. Its really solid stuff, custom ammo quality and wont break your pocketbook. Especially the hollow point.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPatriot View Post
    I carry a Glock 20,10mm as my favorite defensive firearm,especially in the winter. It is also my favorite firearm for woods carry. With the right ammo,it will do almost anything you need it to do. I usually carry 135gr Cor-Bons in it during the summer(when I am able to conceal it),and change over to 150gr in the winter for more penetration of heavier clothing worn then. According to test I've seen,neither round will exit the body. I've also viewed some test of the Double Tap Ammo on You Tube. It is very impressive,indeed. One video tested the 135gr,hp against a beef heart,placed behind some ribs,with a jug of gelaton in front,covered in several layers of cloth. The results were awesome. The bullet penetrated thru to the heart,totally destroying it,but not exiting the test media. I will be trying this ammo out in the near future.
    Other companies also load 10mm ammo that is not much more powerful than the .40S&W. Or,as another poster stated,get an extra barrel from one of the companies that sell conversion barrells for the .40.

Thanks for this info. I have thought of getting a conversion barrel for it but have mainly been looking at the 22lr conversion kits to get more comfortable with the gun. Do you remember what that video you watched on you tube was called? I tried to find it but didn't have much luck. There was a lot of people shooting chickens and hams though.

In the 10mm the 135 grain loads from Cor Bon,DoubleTap and Winchester SilverTip 175 grain are excellent choices for self defense purposes.I know many who shoot .40 out of the 10mm Glocks without a malfuntion. The 10mm is an excellent caliber capable of taking out bear with the proper ammunition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast