Preferred 9mm defensive bullet weight?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Preferred 9mm defensive bullet weight?

This is a discussion on Preferred 9mm defensive bullet weight? within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; I have exhausted my limited "Search" abilities and haven't been able to find an answer. Knowing full well that if ...

Default Preferred 9mm defensive bullet weight?

I have exhausted my limited "Search" abilities and haven't been able to find an answer. Knowing full well that if you ask 5 gun people a question you will most likely get 7 different opinions, I would like to see if there is any kind of a general consensus on whether most folks prefer a 115gr bullet or the 124/125gr bullets for self defense work. I have always used a .45 but I'm going to give the 9mm a good honest try as well, and I would like to know what most folks prefer in bullet weight before I buy a big quantity of them. Thanks!

124g gold dots for me

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Reitsma View Post
    124g gold dots for me
    Same here.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
    “The fundamental force behind the Second Amendment is to empower the people and give them the greatest measure of authority over the tyranny of runaway government.” U.S. Rep. Bob Schaffer, 2002

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)

Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)

Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)

Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)

Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)

Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)

Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)

Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)

Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)

Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

You might notice that the list does NOT include any lightweight bullets with the exception of the Barnes 115gr version. The reason - especially if you've read the beginning of this article - should be clear already, but Doctor Roberts sums it up nicely as well: "With the exception of the Barnes 115 gr XPB all copper projectile, in general, most 9 mm 115 gr loads have demonstrated greater inconsistency, insufficient penetration, poor intermediate barrier capability, and failure to expand in denim testing than other 9mm bullets. For those individuals wanting to use lighter weight, supersonic 9 mm’s, I think a better alternative than the vast majority of 115 gr loads is to use the slightly heavier 124 to 127 gr bullets or the Barnes 115 gr all copper bullet"

I like the 147gr loads myself.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

115G Hornady Critical Defense for my PF-9 and 115G Corbon DPX +P for my S&W M&P

Blog Entries

Default Guard dogs

Recently had a thread on here that had all the testing stats into a gel body it was very informative. It had the Gaurd Dog ammo leading the one shot stop charts. Wish I had time to look for a link for you but it was a couple weeks ago. Goodluck

115G Hornady Critical Defense in my LC9

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

I like the 147gr loads myself.
    I would agree with the 147gr rounds as well. Ranger T 147's to be exact.
    Happily clinging to God and my guns...not at all bitter.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I didn't expect the following for the 147's as I had read a rather forceful statement "somewhere" that the 147 gr load was underpowered in the 9mm. Obviously, that statement was in error, judging from all the responses favoring the 147 gr bullet. I had been leaning toward the 115 Hydroshok, but it looks like I may be re-evaluating for awhile. I would love to hear more responses and especially references to any terminal balistics reports for the 3 basic weight bullets. Hyundailarry, I will do some searching and see if I can find the thread you referenced on the Guard Dog ammo you referenced. I actually have never heard of Guard Dog ammo. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by hyundailarry View Post
    Recently had a thread on here that had all the testing stats into a gel body it was very informative. It had the Gaurd Dog ammo leading the one shot stop charts. Wish I had time to look for a link for you but it was a couple weeks ago. Goodluck
    One shot stops are the result of proper bullet placement, not the use of a specific ammunition. Guard Dog is the latest evolution of federal's EFMJ (expanding full metal jacket) ammunition.

LE - Wound Ballistics

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast