Good vs. Bad Ammo

Good vs. Bad Ammo

This is a discussion on Good vs. Bad Ammo within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; Hey everyone! I have a new XDM 40. I've heard people say to stay away from bad ammo as it ...

Default Good vs. Bad Ammo

Hey everyone! I have a new XDM 40. I've heard people say to stay away from bad ammo as it will hurt the gun. One comment I heard was don't shoot Russian aluminum case ammo. Seemed to make sense though I don't know why. I also heard the comment not to shoot the bargain Winchester ammo. Can anyone add some light to this? Are there ammo's to not use?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
    Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -- Benjamin Franklin

I use the Winchester white box all the time. Stay away from steel case ammo and stick to American made and you will be ok. I also don't use the aluminum case ammo. I have had some split. American made and brass case and your good.

I have heard that the winchester white box can be light in the load and not cycle the weapon properly though I have not experienced it, the brass does seem to corrode more than others though(I see this when I sort headstamps for reloading).

LkWd_Don is offline Banned

I know you said you are carrying a XDM 40.
    I am going to make this comment as generic as possible.
    If you are using a Revolver, I would not trust any aluminum cased ammo but all others to include the steel casings should be fine.
    It you are using a Pistol, DO NOT use any ammo that is STEEL CASED as to keep the steel from rusting, it is coated and after about the third consecutive round/shot the coating will begin to transfer from the casings to the inside of your barrels chamber as the barrel heats up, eventually causing you a Jam and a long cleaning process before you can fire again. I would also shy away from anything aluminum for Pistols as well.
    Yes, I made the mistake of buying a couple boxes of Wolf Steel cased ammo. I still have 1 & 3/4 boxes if anyone wants to buy it from me.

My 1911s all have match grade custom fitted barrels so for me shooting the Russian ammo is something I would not do.
    The Russian bullets are steel jacket with a copper wash (bi-metal). Steel being cheaper than copper. This steel jacket with copper wash will cause more barrel wear. Maybe in the long run it is not cheaper to shoot this ammo.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”