Switching Primers
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By squirrelhunter

Switching Primers

This is a discussion on Switching Primers within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; I am relaoding 9mm with win small pistol primers and unique powder. There seems to be a shortages of win ...

Default Switching Primers

I am relaoding 9mm with win small pistol primers and unique powder. There seems to be a shortages of win primers and the load data I'm useing didn't specific a primer. Can I switch brands of primer with the same grain powder. I'm useing 124 gr lrn.

I use CCI primers and never recall a load data book breaking down the amount of powder by type of primers used. I would say if you are using the correct primer for your casing brand doesn't matter and powder load would not change.
    NRA RSO
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Refuse to be a Victim Instructor

I've switched between federal, winchester and CCI in the past and haven't noticed a difference, but then again I am not using a chronograph to measure the difference.

I think the only time it might matter is if you switched from a standard primer to a magnum primer or vise versa.

So which one do you like the best ?

I have no preference...so I go after the availability and price...

My issues I could point toward my errors: seating to deep, too lazy to ream/clean the primer opening, improper storage, etc.

I have ordered some Wolf Primers from Widener's.
    Should be getting them in a couple months, I know they are backlogged with HazMat purchases.

Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by mavrck71 View Post
    I am relaoding 9mm with win small pistol primers and unique powder. There seems to be a shortages of win primers and the load data I'm useing didn't specific a primer. Can I switch brands of primer with the same grain powder. I'm useing 124 gr lrn.
    It might have helped if you gave all the load data.

As long as you are below the maximum charge you will be fine changing the primer to another brand.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”