Problem with Hornady Critical Duty
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Problem with Hornady Critical Duty

This is a discussion on Problem with Hornady Critical Duty within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; Has anyone using Hornady Critical Duty ammunition in .40 S&W experienced problems with it? I have a new S&W M&P ...

Default Problem with Hornady Critical Duty

Has anyone using Hornady Critical Duty ammunition in .40 S&W experienced problems with it? I have a new S&W M&P and got two boxes of Critical Duty shipped in. This ammo just won't feed in my weapon. I was only able to get 6 rounds out of 40 to feed and fire. I've ran Federal Champion, Winchester white box, and Winchester PDX1 through it without a hiccup. The weapon had 75 or so rounds through it when I switch to Hornady. So I stopped for the day and gave it a thorough cleaning. Went out the next day and first round chambered and fired, but then I couldn't get another chambered. Switch to WWB and no problem.

I called Hornady and they said mine is the first report they've had. Anyone else heard of or had problems with the .40S&W

Same pistol
    Same ammo same problem, polished the feed ramp and now it cycles perfect with the hornady

How did you polish the feed ramp? I just bought one today to be delivered this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by garric View Post
    Same pistol
    Same ammo same problem, polished the feed ramp and now it cycles perfect with the hornady
    Did you use crocus cloth to polish the feed ramp?
    “There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.”- Mr. Herbert Garrison
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."- Jeff Cooper
    "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still."- D. Carnegie

I haven't had any issues with mine. I have them loaded in my XD-40.

So is this the first ammo you've put through the M&P? What grain is the WWB?
    with the Critical Duty being 175 gr, I can't imagine it would give you any slide issues. hmm. strange.

Quote Originally Posted by CRW View Post
    I haven't had any issues with mine. I have them loaded in my XD-40.

So is this the first ammo you've put through the M&P? What grain is the WWB?
    with the Critical Duty being 175 gr, I can't imagine it would give you any slide issues. hmm. strange.
    I googled "hornady critical duty failure to feed". The first thing that is returned is a conversation about PPQs with the same problem in a Walther forum. So it's not just S&W.

It was the fourth ammo choice I've run (or tried to run) through it. 1st was a box of Federal Champion. I threw the box away so I can't say as to the weight, but they were flat nose. 2nd was a box of Winchester PDX1. They were 180 grain JHP. Third was Winchester white box. 165 grain flat nose. All good. 100% flawless. Then came the Hornady. After a combined 30 minutes over two days (thorough cleaning in between) I was able to get 6 rounds out of 40 to fire. I have the same type ammo in 9mm and it is fine in my XDm and my 92FS. The bullet of the .40S&W is radically different. It looks like they shaved the 5 grains off the shoulders when compared to a PDX1 and WWB. When you run a finger from the bullet down the case, the case lip is much more noticeable than either Winchester.

I also found that when unloading the magazines by hand the case of the round caught on the lip of the magazines, but that is way different than short stroke recoil operation of a slide. I just mention it as I haven't experienced it before when unloading other ammo/caliber. Of course I rarely unload a magazine by hand anyway.
    "Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still."- D. Carnegie

Never had a problem w/ my m&p 40.and critical defense.
    When liberals run out of other people's right to infridge upon, how many will give up theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by TlWheatley View Post
    Same here, have two M&P 40s and no issues with either and Critical Defense.

Quote Originally Posted by TlWheatley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayb View Post
    Same here, have two M&P 40s and no issues with either and Critical Defense.
    Critical Duty and Critical Defense aren't the same. There are different bullets loaded in each. Duty has a FlexLock bullet loaded and Defense has a FTX bullet loaded.

The difference between Critical DUTY® & Critical DEFENSE® - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

I used a dremel tool with a foam tip and buffing compound from the auto parts store, it didn't take much and now it feeds anything I throw at it flawlessly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast