Will steel casing ammo damage my gun?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Will steel casing ammo damage my gun?

This is a discussion on Will steel casing ammo damage my gun? within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; I bought about 200 rounds of cheap steel casing 9mm from Walmart thinking it would be OK for practice. Now ...

Default Will steel casing ammo damage my gun?

I bought about 200 rounds of cheap steel casing 9mm from Walmart thinking it would be OK for practice. Now someone told me that this type of casing will damage my gun. Is this true? I have an 9mm Shield.

Might be crap ammo doubt it would hurt the gun ....

The soft iron case won't damage you gun...unless it's chamber is softer than the case!

-Doc

Blog Entries

I have ran about 2000 rounds of it through my Glock with 2 misfires the primers we struck but did not fire. I have no wear on my extractor so I like these for practice and the price is nice there are other Russian made ammo's out there that are the same I have been paying $8.90 a box of 50 in 9mm. In no way would I use this for defensive ammo. Paper punching they are great.

I have heard that theory too, and I seriously doubt that you will fire enough steel cased ammo in your lifetime to cause excessive wear in you gun. Like Doc said, the chamber of your pistol is far harder than the cases you're firing. At least we hope!

I used steel in an M4 and it damaged the extractor buffer and spring. Reason behind it was the polymer coating was expanding in the chamber and jamming the casing in. The extractor was not tough enough to rip it out. I stay away from steel now unless it's in an Ak/SKS variant type rifle, or my Glock.
    Guns.??? What Guns???

I have used CCI Blazer 9mm steel cased fmj and didn't have any problems running it through an XDm.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalamity023 View Post
    I used steel in an M4 and it damaged the extractor buffer and spring. Reason behind it was the polymer coating was expanding in the chamber and jamming the casing in. The extractor was not tough enough to rip it out. I stay away from steel now unless it's in an Ak/SKS variant type rifle, or my Glock.
    I did the same thing with my AR, I found the problem to be the coating kind of sticks to the chamber, the steel stuff shoots fine you just have to clean more often, and absolutly do not leave a fired shell in the camber especialy when the guns hot, problem only comes up with extended ranges sessions, and the gun gets dirty

Quote Originally Posted by CCWlady View Post
    I bought about 200 rounds of cheap steel casing 9mm from Walmart thinking it would be OK for practice. Now someone told me that this type of casing will damage my gun. Is this true? I have an 9mm Shield.
    In no way will that ammo damage your gun, I use it a bunch, especialy when breaking in a new gun, its cheap, almost cheaper than reloading, and a whole lot easyer, however you will be cleaning it more often, the caseings may be steel, but its soft steel, buy as much as you can, it wont stay cheap forever,

Just be cautious that the ammo looks like a good buy and is often cheaper than brass cased, but many indoor ranges do not allow you to shoot them because they often include steel bullets. Also, their is suspicion that some of the wildfire that are currently burning were cause due to sparks caused from target shooting and steel ammo...most people I know can't afford the cost of fighting a wildfire.
    Kevin - NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment = Freedom from Tyranny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast