reloading handgun ammo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

reloading handgun ammo

This is a discussion on reloading handgun ammo within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; I am interested in reloading my ammo for practice rounds. I put a lot of holes in paper and its ...

Default reloading handgun ammo

I am interested in reloading my ammo for practice rounds. I put a lot of holes in paper and its getting expensive. I have done some research online but I would like some more input from someone who is currently reloading. Currently I would be interested in reloading .357 and .40 cal. handgun rounds. I want to know what brand and type of presses you recommend and accessories that are a must have. Is it really worth the investment? Any mishaps that your willing to share for me to learn from are appreciated. Favorite books or websites with reloading info? Thanks for any and all replies.

I have a Dillon press, they have a good selection of reloading equipment. Best advise take your time when reloading and do not get distracted while reloading.
    NRA RSO
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Refuse to be a Victim Instructor

Dillon is clearly the way to go.

The 550 is the best bargain around. The warranty is for life and they really do fix it if you break it!

On a good day, I can load 2000 rounds of quality handgun ammo. ALmost as much 5.56!

-Doc

araczynski is offline NotASheep.Enabled = True;

best way to find out is to price the components together (primer, powder, lead, shell) and compare it to what you can buy the already made remanufactured ammo for online. The one time i did a rough estimate of the parts vs finished/delivered to me, I didn't see the point of wasting my time. (for .40S&W ammo) From what I recall, it starts making financial sense when you're getting into the .45 ammo for handguns, no sure about rifles.

as long as jackrossammo.com sells their .40 remanufactured for $211 shipped (1k), (once they stock them again) i'd have to be retired/bored out of my skull to bother doing it myself.

Is it worth it? My answer is if you are not reloading you are not shooting enough.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

Dillon 550. You may add “Tool-Heads” as you go for other calibers as needed. With a progressive you must not watch T.V., have multiple chat partners in the area, no smoking, no booze and no miscellaneous distractions. Dillon has a wonderful monthly magazine, pays ten dollars of anyone’s NRA membership dues and has shipped parts I broke due to my carelessness next day. The only time consuming chore is the switching of large to small prime feeds. Once you get going three hundred rounds an hour is easily reached. The only drawback and the only mistake I have made is the buying of the 5.56 set up. Rifle cases must be lubed and this is not practical in my view. I use the RCBS single stage and child labor of Grandkids for that chore. In my 35 years, I have had three malfunctions with reloads, all my fault, and all stupid all preventable.
    22 As for the king's orders, we will not follow them: we shall not swerve from our own religion either to right or to left.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan45 View Post
    Is it worth it? My answer is if you are not reloading you are not shooting enough.
    :)

i just tried pricing some supplies from midwayusa (which i will admit typically sucks at prices), but its a ballpark...

Costs for .40S&W:

Brass $60/1000
    Bullets $100/1000
    Primers $30/1000 + $27 hazmat fee
    Powder $25/8lb (not sure how many rounds this feeds) +$27 hazmat fee + seperate s/h fee

i'm not sure whether the two hazmat fees are combined if into one order, but the way i understood it, the primers/powder are shipped seperate, and are charged a seperate s/h fee.

so I was looking at:

$215 parts
    +$27 hazmat fee (i'll assume once)
    +$10 s/h fee for the hazmat stuff
    +$X s/h fee for the other parts (didn't care at this point)

so i'm looking at $250+ in parts before even adding the s/h fee for the non hazmat parts.

granted, some of that will be reduced a bit if i stock pile large quantities, but even then, its not exactly half price.

a TYPICAL place will sell remanufactured .40s&w ammo for about $260/$270 (luckygunner) +s/h, although you can find sales for much less (jackrossammo $211 shipped)

so in the .40s&w caliber, even being bored as hell wouldn't make any sense for me to go this route. AND stockpile explosive powder, AND stockpile explosive primers, AND buy a $400+ good rig, AND give up the most precious thing of all: time. which i'd rather spend either with the family, doing house projects/chores (well, not really, but they do need to be done), or at the range.

i'm guessing in the .45+ calibers things start to make a bit of difference. and especially so in the rifle calibers.

I reuse my brass and usually pick up additional at the range. The cost is GREATLY reduced if you don't have to purchase brass. You don't pay the haz mat fees if you purchase locally. Time spent is like time spent on any hobby type activities.

I have a Hornady Lock N Load press (progressive). Many suggest starting with a single stage press, but I didn't have any difficulty starting with this progressive one. The initial setup takes some time, but after that, I crank out about 100 rounds/hr. To change calibers, I typically need the new dies (obviously), and frequently an additional shell plate (~$30).

I like the 5 stations on mine, as I use a powder cop die in one of the stations that stops the press in case of a powder under/over charge. I believe the Dillon 550 is a 4 station, you need to get the 650 if you want 5 stations.

You won't save money, although the cost per round goes down by about 50%. You'll just shoot more. Roughly speaking, about half the cost is the brass (which you save by reusing), and the other half is the bullet. Granted there's powder and primers to purchase, but for pistol rounds, it's a fairly small cost.

Quote Originally Posted by MTHugger View Post
    I reuse my brass and usually pick up additional at the range. The cost is GREATLY reduced if you don't have to purchase brass. You don't pay the haz mat fees if you purchase locally. Time spent is like time spent on any hobby type activities.
    you may not pay haz mat fees, but still have to pay higher prices, and taxes. seems the lead i picked (i thought i sorted by cheapest) was the most expensive part. maybe i should look for a china supplier, i think they should be experts in lead anything ;)

always been curious about brass at the range, i've only used indoor ranges, which is always littered with spent shells from all calibers it seems, wonder if i'm allowed to pick up whatever i feel like? i always figure they sweep the stuff up and sell it in bulk to remanufacturers so wouldn't take too kindly to me sifting through their extra profits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast