Winchester Ranger Talon +P HP ammo...
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By stingray2100

Winchester Ranger Talon +P HP ammo...

This is a discussion on Winchester Ranger Talon +P HP ammo... within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; Here is a shout-out for this ammo, and I have no dog in this hunt. One of my LEO friends ...

Default Winchester Ranger Talon +P HP ammo...

Here is a shout-out for this ammo, and I have no dog in this hunt. One of my LEO friends come over today and showed me the results of his personal ballistics tests using a variety of rounds. This ammo was heads and shoulders above all other ammo in symetric expansion without any jacket separation.
    Warmly, James, Former Marine, Harley Rider, Partner-Gemini Guns (www.facebook.com/geminiguns), NRA Life Member, "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons." - Antonio Meloni

Timothy Bryant is offline Avoidinyew

I carry the 9mm Winchester Ranger T-Series 127 grain +P+ and share your sentiment about it's awesomeness.

Good defensive ammo. I still have several boxes of the Black Talons and when Winchester bowed to political pressure to stop manufacturing then, they just renamed them Ranger. If I remember correctly, they were not readily available in pistol calibers for awhile, but wasn't too long before they started showing up in stores.
    Kevin - NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment = Freedom from Tyranny

You can still get the black talons...just need to look for them.

You will get the same results with the Ranger T ammo and the Winchester PDX1..same thing
    Invest a Day at the Citadel, learn to be safe forever.
    www.citadelinstitute.com

Blog Entries

yes they are......they just aren't black anymore. remind you of something else that is black and considered too dangerous? those awful "black assault" rifles? maybe if we just change the color.....say lillywhite or tickled pink?
    Hillbilly proud.... you have a problem with that?

The original black talon in 9mm sucked! I had several boxes for my 92fs at the time. The average FPS for the nine was usually 940, or less! Zero expansion.
    In .45, they were the bomb though.
    For the nine, just another fifty or sixty FPS would have made it a better SD round.
    I am now just ONE STEP shy of the dark side, although i do visit it frequently!

Quote Originally Posted by joatesiii View Post
    Here is a shout-out for this ammo, and I have no dog in this hunt. One of my LEO friends come over today and showed me the results of his personal ballistics tests using a variety of rounds. This ammo was heads and shoulders above all other ammo in symetric expansion without any jacket separation.
    Ranger T is good stuff, no doubt about it. The local PD here runs with the .40 S&W 180 gr. Ranger T. I've been told by their armorer that they've had great performance from it and no failures in the last 7 years since its adoption.
    Highly recommended reading:
    QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Another big thumbs up for the 45 +P Ranger SXT or Talon! I shot some extremely scary tight groups out of my Kimber recently. Then, on a whim, I shot the same out of a Lipsey's Ruger Blackhawk (on the 357 Mag Frame), and started cutting ragged holes, and recoil still felt light! My other blackhawk is a 44 Mag, so my reference point is a bit different... Anyway, considering I got this stuff at near WWB prices, I can't complain.

I did have some failure to feed jams the first time I fired it from my Kimber. Then I realized I had the factory original recoil spring and had fired about 5k rounds. Checking the owners manual, I found that the spring needs to be replaced every 1500 rounds or so. BAD ON ME! A Wolff 18.5lb recoil spring had me back in business with no more failures.

Default Winchester Ranger Talon +P HP ammo...

I carry 124 + P bonded Ranger T's and have shot a fox and two raccoons and the Ranger T bullets expanded in all three. Flowered out well in all instances.