Ammo Opinions & Why
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Ammo Opinions & Why

This is a discussion on Ammo Opinions & Why within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; What is the "Best" grain ammo to carry in a .40 & 9mm for Personal Protection (Stoppage) & why?...

Default Ammo Opinions & Why

What is the "Best" grain ammo to carry in a .40 & 9mm for Personal Protection (Stoppage) & why?
    AMERICA, LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

What shoots the most accurately with NO failures to function through YOUR gun?

That one's the 'best'- for your gun.

It's all about what performs well in your personal firearm(s). I can't comment on the .40 but in 9mm I carry Speer Gold Dot 124+P or Federal HST 124+P. The reason why is that they run reliably and perform very well through personal testing.

You will probably get more answers and reasons than you care to read. None will be right or wrong, only different.

Quote Originally Posted by C DUDE View Post
    It's all about what performs well in your personal firearm(s). I can't comment on the .40 but in 9mm I carry Speer Gold Dot 124+P or Federal HST 124+P. The reason why is that they run reliably and perform very well through personal testing.
    I concur with this...carry Speer GD 124+P in all my 9mm pistols.
    Si vis pacem para bellum

My 9mm Desert Eagle (well, it was mine until my wife confiscated it to be her carry gun ) can be kind of finnicky about ammo. I've tried the 147 grain Remington Golden Sabers and the 147 grain Winchester Rangers. Had some feeding issues with the Winchesters, but it will eat the Golden Sabers all day long, so that's what the wife uses. It's probably not the absolute best, but it is reasonably priced and is used by many law enforcement agencies. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Regardless of caliber, I stick with the heaviest JHP I can load for the caliber.

In 9mm, it's 147s (RA9T) and in .40S&W it's 180s (RA40T).
    Highly recommended reading:
    QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

I use 124 grain in my 9mm
    If it doesn't fit, FORCE it! If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway.

I like Speer Gold Dot 180g

Thanks for the info
    AMERICA, LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast