Ruger LCP does not like Fiocchi JHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ruger LCP does not like Fiocchi JHP

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP does not like Fiocchi JHP within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; I recently purchased a Ruger LCP and bought a box of Fiocchi JHP in 380 for carry ammo. I ran ...

Default Ruger LCP does not like Fiocchi JHP

I recently purchased a Ruger LCP and bought a box of Fiocchi JHP in 380 for carry ammo. I ran a couple boxes of ball ammo thru the weapon to check for reliabliity, and it worked great, no problems at all. I then tried to run a couple magazines of the Fiocchi 90 grain JHP thru the gun and they jam up in the magazine and will not feed. It seems that the ammo is just a fraction of an inch to long to work reliably in the Ruger LCP magazines. I am not sure is this is a problems with the size of the Ruger magazines or the ammmo, but I do not want this problem to ruin someones day when thier carry gun will not go bang. If you carry a Ruger LCP please run a couple magazines of your carry ammo thru it before trusting it with your life. Not meaning to slam Fiocchi as have never had a problems with thier ammo before.

maybejim is offline Maybejim

I then tried to run a couple magazines of the Fiocchi 90 grain JHP thru the gun and they jam up in the magazine and will not feed
    Weird! I ran a couple of magazines of the Fiocchi 90 grain XTP HP Bullets and had no problems at all. I also shot a couple of magazines of Speer Gold Dot 90 Gr. GDHP bullets and several magazines of Winchester 95 gr FMJ with no problems at all.

Maybe you should contact Ruger?

I just ordered a second magazine (being sent to Idaho since I can't use the LCP in Kalifornia). I'll check it out when I'm in Idaho at Thanksgiving. It could be magazine specific. Have you tried it in a second magazine?

Wonder if it could be just a bad batch of ammo? anyway thanks for the heads up.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I'd be inclined to believe it's the magazine over the ammo. As I said I'll try to check it out with a second magazine at Thanksgiving.

Default Ammo sticks in both magazines

I did try the ammo in both magazines and its the same results. I sat down at the work bench and using a hand file removed about 1/32 of an inch off the nose of the bullet after which they would feed reliably. I did compare the length of the cartridge with some other 380 ammo and it is longer. Just wanted to make sure anyone using this gun and ammo combination is aware that there may be a problem. If you run a few magazines of your expensive carry ammo thru it you will know if it is dependable or not.
    Be safe.

Default Different Fiocchi?

It appears that perhaps you and I used different Fiocchi ammunition. I used the XTP HP and you said you used JHP. I'm assuming they may be different.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

While I can't vouch for the Fiocchi ammo, I do know that Remington Golden Sabers are quite "rounded" for hollow points and cycle very well in my 380.
    I know a man by the name of Mel;
    he can't see but he sure do smell.

Default if you look on youtube

If you can watch the video on this , that ammo for some reason does not agree with the ammo clip and tends to bind in the clip when it gets to the last few rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Magistrate PO View Post
    I recently purchased a Ruger LCP and bought a box of Fiocchi JHP in 380 for carry ammo. I ran a couple boxes of ball ammo thru the weapon to check for reliabliity, and it worked great, no problems at all. I then tried to run a couple magazines of the Fiocchi 90 grain JHP thru the gun and they jam up in the magazine and will not feed. It seems that the ammo is just a fraction of an inch to long to work reliably in the Ruger LCP magazines. I am not sure is this is a problems with the size of the Ruger magazines or the ammmo, but I do not want this problem to ruin someones day when thier carry gun will not go bang. If you carry a Ruger LCP please run a couple magazines of your carry ammo thru it before trusting it with your life. Not meaning to slam Fiocchi as have never had a problems with thier ammo before.
    look at this video !!!!
    YouTube - Ruger LCP Fiocchi Ammo Problem

1911 Headbanger is offline Leave Me Alone!!!

I had the same problem with Fiocchi Hollow points several years ago in a small 380. But it was the older Purple Box ammo and the JHP's with the lead exposed around the hollow cavity. The cartridges were too long to reliably feed and function. It works in some guns, and not in others. That's the reason why you should always test your gun with what you will carry in it. Never carry ammo that you have not tested. And I don't mean hand cycled. I mean FIRED in the gun. Firing and hand cycling are two different movements and cycle speeds. I've seen some ammo (and magazines) cycle by hand, but not cycle on firing.
    There's Something Goin' On Here, and it Ain't Funny!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast