Barnes 40 S&W 155 gr. M/LE reloading

View Poll Results: Which is best for personal protecton?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • 9 mm

28 23.33%
  • 40 S&W

35 29.17%
  • 45 ACP

57 47.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Barnes 40 S&W 155 gr. M/LE reloading

This is a discussion on Barnes 40 S&W 155 gr. M/LE reloading within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; I want to make up some nice reloads for my 40 S&W 155 gr. Barnes M/LE bullets. Does anyone have ...

buckshotlee is offline Bro. Roger Lee

Default Barnes 40 S&W 155 gr. M/LE reloading

I want to make up some nice reloads for my 40 S&W 155 gr. Barnes M/LE bullets. Does anyone have some experience with them? I currently have "Unique", "V-N350", and "Win 296" powders. Also, include the your case overall length(COAL).

I like the .45.... too bad you cant get your hands on the ammo...

Another for the .45 here. Do they make handguns in other calibers? As an aside, I think the .357 mag deserves a spot up there, unless the poll is limited to semi-auto's.
    When it comes to handguns, there are Sig Sauers, then there's everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotlee View Post
    I want to make up some nice reloads for my 40 S&W 155 gr. Barnes M/LE bullets. Does anyone have some experience with them? I currently have "Unique", "V-N350", and "Win 296" powders. Also, include the your case overall length(COAL).
    What is your barrel length?

For a 5.5" barrel there is a load of 6.6 gr N350 and a 155 gr bullet (Hornady). With the Barnes you should get about 1152 fps. This would be a starting load at 456 ft-lbs.

The max load would be 7.5 gr with an OAL of 1.128". No CUPS measure was given for the max load. Velocity was given as 1245 fps & 533 ft-lbs.

Start with the 6.6 and work up slowly.

45 for home protection/war.

40 for CCL.
    -Austin

buckshotlee is offline Bro. Roger Lee

Default The loads

Quote Originally Posted by eth77 View Post
    What is your barrel length?

For a 5.5" barrel there is a load of 6.6 gr N350 and a 155 gr bullet (Hornady). With the Barnes you should get about 1152 fps. This would be a starting load at 456 ft-lbs.

The max load would be 7.5 gr with an OAL of 1.128". No CUPS measure was given for the max load. Velocity was given as 1245 fps & 533 ft-lbs.

Start with the 6.6 and work up slowly.
    I did set up some loads for the Barnes bullets and 6.6 works well but I could only getup to 7.2 gr into the case because I can't compress the powder anymore then 1.138 OAL, which is 0.003 more then the recommended max OAL. So I couldn't have loaded them to 7.5 gr. even if I wanted to!

Thanks for the help and I hope this thread is helpful to others!

Even if we WERE sticking to semi-autos, I believe .357 Sig is an extremely good ammo, although it is very loud and not quite as popular as the others mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by albritton77 View Post
    Even if we WERE sticking to semi-autos, I believe .357 Sig is an extremely good ammo, although it is very loud and not quite as popular as the others mentioned.
    I agree. .357 Sig is almost the same power and performance as the .357 magnum, which is said to be one of the best man-stoppers of all time. Even more so than the .45, says a comprehensive database I've found in a magazine. But I would still carry the .45 instead, due to the .357's over-penetration power, similar to the 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by pianomistro View Post
    I agree. .357 Sig is almost the same power and performance as the .357 magnum, which is said to be one of the best man-stoppers of all time. Even more so than the .45, says a comprehensive database I've found in a magazine. But I would still carry the .45 instead, due to the .357's over-penetration power, similar to the 10mm.
    I own a Glock 31 and after numerous research the .357Sig is a very HOT round. I use hollows/JHP to solve the "over-penetration" issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ricardo900 View Post
    I own a Glock 31 and after numerous research the .357Sig is a very HOT round. I use hollows/JHP to solve the "over-penetration" issue.
    +1

G33 with Gold Dots. As for ammo availability, I just hit the gunshow that rolls around every couple months. Gold Dots: $.40/ round. Federal FMJ $.29/ round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast