Barnes 40 S&W 155 gr. M/LE Recipe

Barnes 40 S&W 155 gr. M/LE Recipe

This is a discussion on Barnes 40 S&W 155 gr. M/LE Recipe within the Handgun Ammunition and Reloading forums, part of the Handguns category; I need help loading some Barnes 40 S&W 155 gr. M/LE! Can any one help me?...

buckshotlee is offline Bro. Roger Lee

Default Barnes 40 S&W 155 gr. M/LE Recipe

I need help loading some Barnes 40 S&W 155 gr. M/LE! Can any one help me?

I'd use Gold Dot info on those bullets. Look at these recepies. Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

11 grs of Blue Dot will give you around 1,221 fps.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

The Blue Dot powder at 11 grs sound great but the overall length of the Barnes M/LE bullet is much longer then a lead based bullet and I have some concerns about the overall loaded ammo length? I don't want to compress the powder and possible kill myself as I load them!

Default Bullseye

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotlee View Post
    The Blue Dot powder at 11 grs sound great but the overall length of the Barnes M/LE bullet is much longer then a lead based bullet and I have some concerns about the overall loaded ammo length? I don't want to compress the powder and possible kill myself as I load them!
    If you are worried about compressing the load use Bullseye. Looks like 4.5-4.7 grains for a starting load in the 40.

This is a guesstimate looking at the loads for lead 155gr and XTP 155gr in Lee Modern Reloading 2nd ed.
    **I am not responsible if you get blowed up**

The Barnes website shows only loads for the XPB bullets. They use 4.4-4.9gr of Silhouette and 5.1-5.6gr of Longshot.
    http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/40S&WWeb.pdf

Okay, I built up so courage and loaded some of the Barnes M/LE bullets. Here is my results! I can't measure the FPS but with 6.0 gr. of Unique, I had inconsistent loads, also shot high on the target. From 6.6 to 7.2 gr of Unique, I could hold a better pattern but may need some fine turning. For the record, the 7.2 gr was very compressed in the shell case and I didn't trust it. The 6.6 gr was compressed, but not much. I don't have much experence with compressed loads and will not load any at 7.2 again!

Thanks for the help all!