Ruger P345 Feeding Problems

Ruger P345 Feeding Problems

This is a discussion on Ruger P345 Feeding Problems within the Handgun Discussion forums, part of the Handguns category; i recently bought a ruger p345. i went to the range twice with it (thurs. & today) and noticed that ...

harley05 is offline harley05

Default Ruger P345 Feeding Problems

i recently bought a ruger p345. i went to the range twice with it (thurs. & today) and noticed that the last bullet in the mag doesn't feed all the way and causes the gun to jam. if i put only 7rds in the mag it feeds fine. it holds 8rds + 1 in the chamber.anyone know what's going on with this?thanks as always.

Harley, it sounds like your gun may just need more rds thru it, and one thing I have found helps with a new gun, first be sure the gun is cleaned with minimal oiling they do not need a lot just a drop or two in the right places, then in your basement or garage, somewhere its safe, load your mags and pop one in then just keep racking the shells thru the gun without fireing, the more mags you have the easyer it is, then just keep reloading the mags, and racking the rds thru WITHOUT fireing, your just working the mechinism, do this till you get tired, LOL, the shells get scratched up but it wont bother them, i dont know run maybe 100 shells thru, I have done this with every semi auto I have, except the Glocks, they dont seem to cause any problem, weather they have had 1 or 1000 rds thru them, doing this seems to help wit normal break in problems, such as FTF and FTE, the purpose is to sort of break in the guns action, its not the same as actualy fireing the gun but it has seemed to help

Its just a thought,but could you possibly be limp wristing with the last shot?

Quote Originally Posted by harley05 View Post
    i recently bought a ruger p345. i went to the range twice with it (thurs. & today) and noticed that the last bullet in the mag doesn't feed all the way and causes the gun to jam. if i put only 7rds in the mag it feeds fine. it holds 8rds + 1 in the chamber.anyone know what's going on with this?thanks as always.
    When you say the last bullet does not feed all the way and causes a jam what exactly is it doing? Not being stripped out of the mag, nose of the bullet jamming into the feed ramp, Round going into the chamber but not completely going into battery, ect.

Does this also happen with multiple mags or just one?

It is strange that 7 rounds feed fine but 8 do not. If it was a problem with a weak spring or the follower catching on something you would think it would happen on the last round no matter how many rounds were in the mag.

Lastly, did you load up the mags and let them sit a few days fully loaded? I normally do this with all new mags to seat the mag springs. I have had feeding issues with new mags before I started doing this. You may want to give that a try.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  267.8 KB

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  189.5 KBno limp wristing here. if i put one bullet in the mag and pull the slide back, the bullet jams going into the barrel. it's not getting stuck on the feed ramp. it looks like it's getting stuck on an angle going into the barrel.i'll see if i can take a pic of what's happening.there's a piece next to the firing pin that hooks the base of the bullet. it looks like it's getting stuck there.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

this is a jam with just one bullet in the mag and pulling slide back to load.

Harley05 try this. Fully load the mag and let it sit for a couple days. I normally let mine sit for 3 days. Then take it to the range and see if that solves you problem. I have a feeling this will take care of the issue.

Have you tried any other mags?
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Default mag

ordered a new mag from midway yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by harley05 View Post
    ordered a new mag from midway yesterday.
    That's good. If it's the gun it'll do it with both mags but try leaving the mag you have loaded for a couple days. I think it'll fix your issue. Let us know either way.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Default p345

i called ruger and they sent me a return label pre paid to have me send the gun back to them ups next day air for repair. hope to have it back soon. they said it sounds like a defective ejector. thanks for all the input folks.i will keep you posted on the repair.