Internal v. external hammer? - Page 2

View Poll Results: What do you prefer? internal or external

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Internal

38 37.25%
  • External

41 40.20%
  • Either way, I will explain below. (please and thank you)

23 22.55%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Internal v. external hammer?

This is a discussion on Internal v. external hammer? within the Handgun Discussion forums, part of the Handguns category; Folks, ya'll realize that striker fired and internal hammers are two completely different things, right?? Internal hammers are actual hammers, ...

Folks, ya'll realize that striker fired and internal hammers are two completely different things, right?? Internal hammers are actual hammers, just concealed in the gun. They also give you a 'second strike' capability that striker systems don't.

The question is internal or external hammers. Bringing up striker firing is just confusing the issue with an option not mentioned in the original post.

Default either

I voted either as it really depends on the gun being carried. My EDC is striker fired, no external hammer, but it does have a manual safety - it is carried in condition one - round chambered and ready to fire. I also have a 1911 (which I love but it is too large for my small hands). On the few occasions when I carry it instead of my edc it is chambered but not hammered back as I don't feel comfortable carrying it in that condition.
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10730&dateline=128672  7754
    "Don't retreat - reload" - Sarah Palin

I have a Sig 229 with exposed hammer and carry a XD subcompact striker fire. I also have a S&W .38 with shrouded hammer and a Ruger LCR which is also shrouded. Makes no difference to me. Anything I carry is in condition 1, cocked and locked. If I can't carry it that way, I don't and won't carry it. While seconds may count, milliseconds count more!

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Folks, ya'll realize that striker fired and internal hammers are two completely different things, right?? Internal hammers are actual hammers, just concealed in the gun. They also give you a 'second strike' capability that striker systems don't.

The question is internal or external hammers. Bringing up striker firing is just confusing the issue with an option not mentioned in the original post.
    Good point.

Folks, if you have an LCP, you can see it's internal hammer fired. A stiker has NO HAMMER. There is a spring behind the striker (firing pin) that drives it forward instead of a hammer (see a Glock cutaway animation).

I already voted.

I chose either and I have all of the above, with and without. My favorite is a Kahr, no hammer, no safeties, just 7 lbs of double action trigger in your way. It's a quiet sleepy town here. But when I must travel to zombie land, I always rack the slide before I leave, add an extra mag, a BUG that's weak hand accessible in condition 1, a Tac light and a folder.

And the call me paranoid 8-)

I own both and have carried both but prefer an external hammer in condition 1. No matter the weapon that +1 is always there.

Default "internal hammer" - Hidden hammer vs. striker

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post

Not being familiar with revolvers, I was unaware that there were some that had hidden hammers, therefore "internal hammers." Are there many of these? I saw that Smith and Wesson had some, but did not research further....

I mistakenly thought the OP meant striker-fired, which I have heard referred to as "internal hammers" in many forums and gun shops. If the OP was referring to a revolver with a hidden hammer, then I voted wrong.

jtg452: forgive me if this is a stupid question (because I'm not very familiar with revolvers) but doesn't the cylinder turn (advance) with every pull of the trigger? If so, in order to get a second strike you must have to turn the cylinder back one spot and pull the trigger again, right?

Default Internal v. External hammer?

I prefer the external hammer, but I think its probably for purely psychological reasons. I prefer to be able to see that hammer. I do own 2 glocks and an XD-45 and they work great so I dont really know why. I just like the external hammer on my 1911 and my SIG 220 better.

1911, revolver, Sig 226, Ruger p-90 - External
    XD, Glock, pocket pistols - internal or bobbed.

Training and your own comfort are what is important.
    Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.

I voted either way for the same reason stated above. It all depends on the firearm. I carry all my firearms in condition 1. There's no sense in being half ready if something happens!
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast