1911 Lowering hammer on chambered round - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

1911 Lowering hammer on chambered round

This is a discussion on 1911 Lowering hammer on chambered round within the Handgun Discussion forums, part of the Handguns category; This is all way too complicated. Get yourselves a Glock, chamber a round, and holster it. It's not rocket science....

G50AE is offline Banned

This is all way too complicated. Get yourselves a Glock, chamber a round, and holster it. It's not rocket science.

IN COND 1,
    A.)Drop mag
    B.)Disengage thumb safety
    C.)Place your opposing hand over breech port and pull slide back and lock it.
    You've now rendered your weapon safe.
    If you can't do simple ABC's your next step is to take safe weapon to a Gun store and sell it. NO NEED in stressing your gray matter further.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Cocked _and_Locked is offline Parts Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    So are you willing to accept my personal experience (that I've been carrying a semi automatic pistol in condition 2 for years w/ no ill effect) as proof that my declaration it really isn't all that unsafe is correct?
    That's like saying I live way out in the country and been driving on the wrong side of the road for years, haven't hit anything yet.

You might get away with it, but you're still tempting fate.

Any y'uns need to stop with the all y'all stuff. It's annoying to people that don't speak your dialect.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Cocked _and_Locked View Post
    That's like saying I live way out in the country and been driving on the wrong side of the road for years, haven't hit anything yet.
    Not really we're both dropping the hammer on a live round from a semi automatic pistol the conditions are the same. It's not like he said don't drive on the wrong side of the hiway and I said it's no different than driving an the wrong side of the Podunk Turnpike
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

G50AE is offline Banned

Thumbs up Thanks for the Michael Jackson reference

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    If you can't do simple ABC's
    It's easy as 1, 2, 3, A, B, C.

Default Village People's next?

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    It's easy as 1, 2, 3, A, B, C.
    Yea and he's where he sould be. Too bad it's wasn't as simple as......
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    If that's what floats your boat....

BUT, personally, I don't see the benefit of going to half cock and THEN racking the slide and recocking the gun as you eject the chambered round. IF your hand was to slip while working the slide, I'm not willing to gamble on the half cock notch saving me from a negligent discharge. With the hammer left at full cock, the resistance on the slide is slightly less (you don't have to recock the hammer) and if your hand slips, the hammer is locked at full cock already and is not a factor. No hammer movement, no big "BOOOM!" at an inopportune time.

What I do is I leave the safety alone (meaning it is ON) and drop the mag. Once the mag is secured (pocketed, back in the mag carrier, on the table, ... whatever), I thumb the safety off and immediately rack the slide. At no time is my finger any where near the trigger. Once the gun is verified as cleared, I can lower the hammer as needed safely.
    I've tested the 1/2 cock notch and it works. I understand the function of things and test them to make sure that they work. Its kinda my nature and what I do for a career..

Unloading a condition 1 1911 is not the ideal thing to have to do. The technique I use works for me and has for some time. I'm attentive when doing it and aware..

If you were to let go of the slide and the hammer was between 1/2 and full cock position it would fall to 1/2 cock anyway. If it did not I'd have the firearm checked.
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

G50AE is offline Banned

Question Question for you?

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Yea and he's where he sould be. Too bad it's wasn't as simple as......
    Where can you find pleasure
    Search the world for treasure
    Learn science technology
    Where can you begin to make your dreams all come true
    On the land or on the sea
    Where can you learn to fly
    Play in sports and skin dive
    Study oceanography
    Or sit in the grandstand
    When your team and others meet

I've always found this song to be rather patriotic, BTW.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

I thank God evey day that The Village People didn't have a fetish for the Army
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Here ya go, the right answer, not just a bunch of opinion. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions. This way, also, your butt will be covered if you do have a negligent discharge and injure someone, or damage someone's property. These directions are straight from the Springfield 1911 owner's manual.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast