1911 Lowering hammer on chambered round
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

1911 Lowering hammer on chambered round

This is a discussion on 1911 Lowering hammer on chambered round within the Handgun Discussion forums, part of the Handguns category; This is part of something I posted but didn't get a response. Does anyone through the course or carrying and ...

Default 1911 Lowering hammer on chambered round

This is part of something I posted but didn't get a response. Does anyone through the course or carrying and caring for a 1911 lower the hammer on a chambered round? What circumstances and how often?
    The following is part of what I previously posted.
    Regarding lowering the hammer. So at the end of the day you want to put your cocked and locked 1911 away. What to do?
    You lower the hammer very carefully or is it wise to try never to do that and instead you drop the magazine and re rack the slide ejecting the chambered round then lower the hammer?
    This is one of the things I need to feel comfortable before carrying a 1911. Your input for this 1911 novice is appreciated.
    BTW has anyone ever knocked the safety off accidentally?

My understanding of the 1911 is that is was designed to be carried "clocked and locked." I feel that you if you lower the hammer on a live round, you are risking the gun going off. If you really need to lower the hammer, get a DA/SA with a decocker. With my 1911 I unload it before I put it in the safe, but not because I think it would hurt to leave it "locked and cocked," trust me it wont hurt a modern 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by jhappold View Post
    My understanding of the 1911 is that is was designed to be carried "clocked and locked." I feel that you if you lower the hammer on a live round, you are risking the gun going off. If you really need to lower the hammer, get a DA/SA with a decocker. With my 1911 I unload it before I put it in the safe, but not because I think it would hurt to leave it "locked and cocked," trust me it wont hurt a modern 1911.
    Cocked and locked is the way to carry a 1911. I agree. I was asking more about any times where you would lower the hammer like putting it away in the safe. So then you would suggest dropping the mag then reracking/ejecting the chambered round.
    I guess the same problems occur if you cocked the hammer on a single action revolver as far as lowering the hammer goes.
    Thanks

Release the magazine and rack the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by uscg4good View Post
    Thank you. Simply stated! I get the point thanks.

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

Quote Originally Posted by uscg4good View Post
    If you do you'd better keep an eye on that round you keep chambering. It seems that .45 ACP rounds tend to set back into the casing when they're repeatedly chambered. This can lead to dangerous over pressures when the round is fired.

If I had to do one or the other I'd drop the hammer. Actually,if I had to do one or the other I'd put the 1911 on my nightstand in Cond. 1.

I drop the hammer on my CZ 75B every time I load it. It's not voo doo you simply focus on what you,re doing and do it slowly
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Manually lowering the hammer of a 1911 onto a live round is DANGEROUS -and IMO, stupid as hell. I do NOT ever, ever, ever do it. If I did need to lower the hammer for some bizarre reason, I'd unload the gun completely.

To do so, you must disengage 2 manual safeties and (if your gun uses the Series 80 safety) one automatic safety as well just to lower the hammer on to the firing pin that is now resting on the primer of a live round.

If that's not enough of a negligent discharge waiting to happen, to make the gun shoot, you gotta thumb the hammer back and 1911 hammers weren't really designed to be slip proof.

Trust me, I learned that the hard way because of a half witted (now ex) bother in law (the missing 'r' isn't a typo) didn't like the hammer back on MY truck gun when he dropped off some electronics he'd borrowed from me at work. When I found it, I had just gotten off work at a restaurant. When I went to thumb the hammer back, it slipped and I ended up putting a round in the back of my truck seat that went across the cab through the seat before it hit the door frame. Did I mention that this was a late '60's pickup? You know the ones with the GAS TANK in the cab, behind the seat?

As far as storing a gun, I have 1 personal rule about that. If it is in the safe, in a rug, soft or hard case, it is unloaded. If it's anyplace else, it's loaded. The gun on top of the fridge is loaded, the one in the laundry cabinet is, too.

Yes, I've knocked the thumb safety off once or twice over the years with new holsters that haven't been fully broken in yet.

If you have to unload a 1911 and its in condition 1 then it requires the safety being deactivated. I Use the 1/2 cock position to bring the hammer down safely after mag has been removed. It's not the ideal thing to have to do...

I place my left hand middle finger in front of the hammer face between the firing pin to prevent a pin strike, I then use my thumb and first finger to grasp the hammer. Once I have the hammer controlled I off the safety and pull the trigger just to release the sear then release the trigger. That will allow the hammer to fall only to the 1/2 cock position and no further.
    Series 80 slides have a firing pin block/plunger that will prevent the pin from protruding from the breech face if the hammer drops without the trigger being pulled (much like the Glock and M&P design). My Colt is a series 80 so I have that level of comfort and have tested my pistol to prove function.

Once I have the hammer at 1/2 cock position I cycle the slide to eject the chambered round. Safe and clear.

After any take down, cleaning, parts replacement, etc... I run all the functional checks listed in the manual using a dummy round/snap-cap with a small piece of paper between the breech face and the primer to see if the firing pin strikes when it should not.

That procedure has worked for me. Some will argue with it and have their opinion...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Treo is offline Bullet Proof

I never lower the hammer on a loaded chamber on my 1911, I don't see the point.

When I lower the hammer on my CZ ( Like I said it isn't voo doo you just need to be paying attention) I simply

1 chamber the round

2. Firmly grasp the hammer with thumb and fore finger (which are clean and free of oil)

3. Pull the trigger and release the trigger as soon as the hammer starts to move ( this engages the firing pin block)

jtg452 said When I went to thumb the hammer back, it slipped and I ended up putting a round in the back of my truck seat that went across the cab through the seat before it hit the door frame.
    So was the problem the mechanics of what you were doing or your failure to pay attention?

All that said, if this is your primary carry gun why not just leave it in cond. 1?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

My 1911 is both my carry weapon and my "night stand" weapon. At the end of the day, my 1911 (in condition 1) comes off my belt still locked in it's holster and takes it's usual spot by the side of the bed. In the morning, the 1911, still locked in it's holster is returned to it's normal carry position on my hip.

If it goes into the safe for some reason, it goes in in condition 1, still locked in it's holster. Seeing the pattern yet? My gun hasn't left it's holster for 37 years. Ok, I kid. Rarely though does it ever leave the holster. Cleaning and range are the typical exceptions, as I have never yet had to deploy it.

Why complicate things?

If you are not comfortable with any aspects of your 1911, please consider both training and practice for proficiency in possible self-defense situations as well as a level of comfort and understanding for the pistol and how it works before relying on it to save your life.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast