Ruger SR40c and Failure to Fire tonight - thoughts?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Ruger SR40c and Failure to Fire tonight - thoughts?

This is a discussion on Ruger SR40c and Failure to Fire tonight - thoughts? within the Handgun Discussion forums, part of the Handguns category; I recently purchased a Ruger SR40c and haven't had a chance to put very many rounds through it yet but ...

Timothy Bryant is offline Avoidinyew

Default Ruger SR40c and Failure to Fire tonight - thoughts?

I recently purchased a Ruger SR40c and haven't had a chance to put very many rounds through it yet but something happened today that has me a little concerned. I would say that all in all I have put about 80 or so rounds through the gun. The first 50 was a box of Federal Champions that I bought from Wal-mart and they shot without a single hitch. Today though I shot through around 20 rounds of PMC Bronze target ammo that I purchased when I first bought the gun and I had 3-4 FTF's in the lot. Upon examination the rounds were struck but they failed to ignite. I then fed them through again and eventually got these rounds to fire off. I was a bit concerned so I loaded up 10 rounds of Winchester White Box Hollow Points I purchased from Walmart and fired through all 10 rounds without any problems.

Do you guys think I should be concerned about carrying the Ruger at the moment? I would like to attribute the FTF's to poor ammo but until I run more rounds through it I simply don't know if I can trust the weapon. Your thoughts?

G50AE is offline Banned

Get yourself a Glock instead.

When a gun fails once, personally I'm done with it as far as trusting my life to it. All the handguns I currently own have never had a single failure of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE:232951
    Get yourself a Glock instead.
    That wasn't the OP's question. Its not like he asked for a ccw badge!

On a serious note though, run more (and different brands) of ammo and see of you have similar results. Let us know what results you get. My wife just bought the same pistol and we haven't begun the breaking in process yet.

Timothy Bryant is offline Avoidinyew

Quote Originally Posted by fmfdoc87-92 View Post
    When a gun fails once, personally I'm done with it as far as trusting my life to it. All the handguns I currently own have never had a single failure of any kind.
    I agree wholeheartedly but the problem I'm faced with is that I'm not so sure it's the gun that is failing me - I suspect it's the ammunition but as eXGee11 recommended I'm going to run more boxes of ammo through it just to verify. So far I've shot Federal Champion (50 rounds no problem), Winchester White Box (10 rounds no problem), and the PMC Bronze (the aforementioned FTF's). Within the next few days I'm going to purchase another 50 round Winchester White Box, Remington 50 round pack (Walmart), and fire through another 50 Federal Champions I have onhand. If I can get through these without any hiccups I believe I can safely assume it was the ammo causing the problem.

I've been planning for the past 3 months to get the Sr9c but for some reason this morning, glock just popped in my head. For some reason the reliability of glock just completely took over the "neatness" I felt about the ruger. Has nothing to do with you sorry haha just saying!

It's the ammo and not the gun. I have guns that can't run some factory ammo, mainly because the primers are too deep for the firing pin to make good enough contact to ignited the charge. If the gun fails to fire multiple manufacturers ammo, then I would be concerned enough to send it back to Ruger for a once over.

Personally I wouldn't put the blame on the firearm, I would put the blame on the ammo.

It could have been a bad batch or something. If I have multiple issue with a brand of ammo, I will move away from it. When I first starting with pistols, I bought a few WWB. I had numerous FFL/FTE, I even had one round that was mutilated and wouldn't even fit in a mag, let alone a chamber. If it did, it was an accident waiting to happen.

I then moved to Remington UMC mega pack and Federal boxes. A few weeks ago I had my first FTF after a couple of thousand of rounds of Remington UMC. I took a quick look at the primer, and instead of a nice circle, it was a rectangle.

Sometimes guns don't like one brand of ammo. If you can shoot other brand of ammo fine, stick with that brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Bryant View Post
    I recently purchased a Ruger SR40c and haven't had a chance to put very many rounds through it yet but something happened today that has me a little concerned. I would say that all in all I have put about 80 or so rounds through the gun. The first 50 was a box of Federal Champions that I bought from Wal-mart and they shot without a single hitch. Today though I shot through around 20 rounds of PMC Bronze target ammo that I purchased when I first bought the gun and I had 3-4 FTF's in the lot. Upon examination the rounds were struck but they failed to ignite. I then fed them through again and eventually got these rounds to fire off. I was a bit concerned so I loaded up 10 rounds of Winchester White Box Hollow Points I purchased from Walmart and fired through all 10 rounds without any problems.

Do you guys think I should be concerned about carrying the Ruger at the moment? I would like to attribute the FTF's to poor ammo but until I run more rounds through it I simply don't know if I can trust the weapon. Your thoughts?
    Sounds like your Ruger either doesn't like PMC ammo or the PMC ammo you purchased had some REALLY hard primers. My suggestion would be to stay away from PMC ammo and continue running other brands of ammunition through the Ruger. If it proves reliable, then, I'd mark it down as an ammunition problem and just avoid that brand (been there, done that- that's why I refuse to allow ANY CCI Blazer ammunition to go through my guns).

Oh, and ignore the Glock trolls. Gaston Glock did not invent reliability like they seem to believe. Reliable repeating handguns were around for 100 years before he invented his ugly, ungainly (and unsafe, did I mention the 5 pound trigger with no real safety?) combat tupperware.

Angry

What you really should do is test it using the quality Ammo. you plan to use as carry Ammo. Now it it has problems then I accept it as a real gun problem
    IMHO PMC Ammo. is not the type Ammo. I even would use at the range if the gun works with Win. White box then I think it's the PMC Ammo. at fault.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast