Conceal Carry Options...Glock 19, Walther PPS or Kel Tec
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Conceal Carry Options...Glock 19, Walther PPS or Kel Tec

This is a discussion on Conceal Carry Options...Glock 19, Walther PPS or Kel Tec within the Handgun Discussion forums, part of the Handguns category; I'm considering a second conceal carry gun to have on hand, and I have reduced my desires down to the ...

Default Conceal Carry Options...Glock 19, Walther PPS or Kel Tec

I'm considering a second conceal carry gun to have on hand, and I have reduced my desires down to the following:
    Glock 19
    Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9
    Kel Tec P11

I realize this is a personal choice with a number of variables, so there is no way anyone can say for certain which is best for me. I'm hoping to get some thoughts about the good and bad that people have experienced with these guns so I can become better educated and maybe even narrow my list down before going out and trying these on for size.

Concerns that I already have with these guns:
    Glock 19 -- Gen 4 spring issues regarding ejection of weaker ammo...I think Glock has solved this problem though.

Walther PPS -- Magazine release lever seems like an awkward method of dropping the magazine.

Kel Tec -- The small grip. I would prefer to have all fingers securely on the grip and not under it.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated...
    Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
    Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
    -Unknown-

Glock 19. I've carried one since 1988 (with the exception of a Glock 26 since 2001 when I'm not carrying the 19) and it has carried and functioned flawlessly. My G19 Gen 2 has been upgraded and re-parkerized for free by Glock. Can't beat it.
    A man's life, liberty, and property are only safe when the legislature is NOT in session. Will Rogers

B2Tall is offline Stirrer of the Pot

I have a PF9. Highly concealable. It's a harsh pistol to shoot and doesn't have the nice fit & finish as some of the other guns on your list but it's very accurate and 100% reliable. It's also inexpensive. I like it.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

ditto on the PF9... a small Hogue rubber grip cover helps... the PPS is very nice but bigger and the mag release could be a problem under pressure (which is why I don't carry it)...

Blog Entries

Always go with glock! I carry a 19c by day and a 26 at night neither ever let me down in any way!

I have held the Walther, and I REALLY like how that fits. But, the mag release was difficult for me to operate, so I'm hesitant to get that one.

I don't like having my pinkie under the grip...I prefer to have all fingers help hold the gun. So, the Kel Tec's are probably out.

I am leaning more toward the Glocks. A previous mention of the Glock 26 has me thinking. The small grip gives the Glock 26 the same concern as the Kel Tecs, but the grip extension kind of takes that worry away.

If the grip extension is added to the Glock 26, is it really that much different from the Glock 19? I realize the 19 is about 1" longer than the 26...is that a significant difference when trying to conceal it?

Maybe it's time to find the Glock 19 and 26 so I can try them out...
    Violence, when there is an alternative, is immoral.
    Violence, when there is no alternative, is survival.
    -Unknown-

I would definitely recommend test shooting a Glock 19 & 26.

The G26 is small enough to pocket carry with a Desantis Nemesis in cargo shorts/pants or khaki pants or even dress pants(which is what I do). Can't really pocket carry with jeans unless they are really baggy. Perfect for summer carry with cargo shorts or year around for the most discrete carry. I would recommend if you do pocket carry to not use the pinky extension. Just practice and you'll find the 26 very accurate.

The G19 is perfect for IWB carry especially with something like a supertuck. Also perfect to carry the G19 as a main carry with a G26 as BUG since the functionality and mags fit both. I am obviously biased toward the Glock but for good reason. I've carried them for about 23 years now and they are very good.
    A man's life, liberty, and property are only safe when the legislature is NOT in session. Will Rogers

I have a G19 and G26. Takes getting used for concealed carry but the key is to have a variety of holsters that match the weather, and thus, the garb. My Desantis Tuck This 2 is a great IWB. However, I find that the cheapy Glock Tactical Holster works great to hold either one very close to the hip OWB.

I've heard of carrying the 26 on the ankle but after 8 hours of my LCP on my ankle, I've had enough. I can't imagine carrying more weight. There are many options out there. I have the fortune of borrowing holsters from colleagues to try out. Some work some don't. Buy the ones that work for you and your lifestyle. One day you'll get to the point where you're carrying concealed no matter what you're wearing.

The_Outlaw is offline ~The Dude Abides~
    The Great State of Texas "Remember the Alamo"

Quote Originally Posted by fdegree View Post
    I'm considering a second conceal carry gun to have on hand, and I have reduced my desires down to the following:
    Glock 19
    Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9
    Kel Tec P11
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated...
    I'll let Mister Hickok45 answer your question for me....

Fascist's are Magicians...They can make our Property, our Freedom's & even our Children 'Disappear'.
    ~Outlaw~

Glock 19 hands down. All my classroom guns are Glock 19 as well as my personal carry gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast