Is a 22 really not a good defensive gun?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Is a 22 really not a good defensive gun?

This is a discussion on Is a 22 really not a good defensive gun? within the Handgun Discussion forums, part of the Handguns category; They say that a 22LR is not good for defense, but is there a difference when you use a 22 ...

Default Is a 22 really not a good defensive gun?

They say that a 22LR is not good for defense, but is there a difference when you use a 22 hollow point?

Quote Originally Posted by CFII View Post
    They say that a 22LR is not good for defense, but is there a difference when you use a 22 hollow point?
    Who says that? A .22 is a great defensive round for many reasons - easily controllable recoil allows stacking rounds, fast round gets on target quicker, rounds are cheap which allows for some great range time, rounds are easily found everywhere, and if you discharge one inside of your home during a defense and you won't loose your hearing. I frequently carry a .22 when I need a discreet concealable during warmer weather.
    Kevin - NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment = Freedom from Tyranny

My girlfriend carries a 22 all the time, and this question comes up quite often from random people. My reply is... "It's better than throwing the TV remote at an intruder."

I have always believed that it's not the size, or Caliber of your Weapon.

It's shot Placement Double tap to the head Game Over, Lights Out.
    But if you shoot , and put 2-3 in the Stomach the threat will contiune.

Shot Placement is the Key to any, and all defensive Situations.
    NRA,NYCCW,PALTCF,FLCCW,ARCCW,DCM,NYSRPA,SCOPE

milkmood is offline Dodge this.

Here's a good read on the subject: An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

I think every state should secede from Washington, DC, then we'll have them surrounded.

I don't know of any volunteers to step in front of a 22LR to catch one or two.
    Washington didn't use his right of free speech to defeat the British , he shot them.

Some bad guys will run at the suggestion that you might respond with force. Other bad guys won't stop till they have the choice taken away from them. The rest fall somewhere in between. There are two ways to stop someone physically and psychologically. The little old lady with an umbrella that chases off a robber has had a psychological stop. Sometimes putting one or more holes in someone will get them to stop and run off. They may get outside or down the block before falling over but the holes in them got them to change their mind as to their course of action.

There are a number of criminals that will continue an attack until they die or become unconscious. These people require a physical stop. With a gun that means a shot to the central nervous system. A .22 LR will work for a head shot. The other way is blood loss. The other way to incapacitate someone is with blood loss. Even with a fatal shot it might take a significant amount of time for a determined assailant to bleed out enough to become unconscious and therefore stop attacking you. The bigger the hole the faster they are likely to lose enough blood to go unconscious. A .22 LR is a good way to stop someone but it is unlikely to do it as quickly as you might like.

Having said that a .22 has been a part of my defense plan for most of my life, just not my first choice.
    NRA,
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Fund
    http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Firefighterchen is offline OC for Tactical Advantage

“One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by stovepipe View Post
    I don't know of any volunteers to step in front of a 22LR to catch one or two.
    That's a foolish argument to make. I don't know of any volunteers to step in front of .177 pellet rifle, doesn't make it a good choice for self defense against anything bigger than tree rats.

I continue to see all this talk of making head shots in a gunfight, how did that work out for LAPD in the North Hollywood Shoot-Out?

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

Jeff Cooper stated there is nothing wrong with a .22 cal, you just have to go for eye shots.
    So you better be good.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast