9mm vs. .40 S&W - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

9mm vs. .40 S&W

This is a discussion on 9mm vs. .40 S&W within the Handgun Discussion forums, part of the Handguns category; If you are recoil sensitive, you probably don't want the .40. I had a Glock 23, and I gave it ...

If you are recoil sensitive, you probably don't want the .40. I had a Glock 23, and I gave it to my father in law for his birthday. I now have an SR9c and LC9. I am in process of buying another gun, probably Springfield XD9. When I had my Glock, I discovered that .40 rounds are not always available. 9mm is cheaper, and still offers a high amount of energy at impact. A 9mm 124 grain will exert 325 ft/lb of energy from a 4" barrel; a .40 165 grain will exert 350 ft/lb of energy. Depending on the grain of the bullet, it can be more.

I got those numbers from BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home

ares338 is offline ares338

I have both but I like shooting the .40 more. Why? I dunno...personal preference I guess.

I favor the 9mm mainly due to the cost and ability to practice more with this ammo. I figure I will shoot most accurately with what I shoot the most.

If it is for self defense go with the one that makes the bigger hole.
    I have always heard that bigger is better.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

wish you included the size.if its the 27 baby glock 40 forget about it.go with the 9mm.the other two available,shoot the 40,so you know which one shoots better forYou, A MUST IN terms of cost 9 gonna cost you 5$ less a box and widly available anywhere.reliabilty the same,unless u limp wrist the 40.stopping power ha,here goes;recent study ows that people shot once with any caliber live we are talking 80%,however people with multiple gunshots of any caliber have an 80%chance of terminating.so again it is a better bet to choose your weapon where you will have a better chance of hitting him multiple times which brings us back to the9mm.where you have a better chance of hitting him where you are aiming.if you want you can always get buffalo bore heavy flat nose bullets with high velocity so you have the best of both guns

gunnerbob is offline ~Gun Junkie~

I choose the 9mm, for my own reasons... but it is far cheaper than .40, that is usually true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339608868.672453.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  14.9 KB

You can see the difference in this photo.
    I am now just ONE STEP shy of the dark side, although i do visit it frequently!

Just get a .45 acp, you know you want one.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

Tell me, do people who are shot with a 9mm just stand and laugh at you?
    .40 S&W round gives you an edge in stopping someone, but the new 9mm defense
    ammo is pretty good and should not be taken lightly.

If you handle the recoil from a .40 well and can make good follow up shots then do it.
    I carry either .380 or 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    Tell me, do people who are shot with a 9mm just stand and laugh at you?
    .40 S&W round gives you an edge in stopping someone, but the new 9mm defense
    ammo is pretty good and should not be taken lightly.

If you handle the recoil from a .40 well and can make good follow up shots then do it.
    I carry either .380 or 9mm.
    Actually when using similar ammunition (that passes the FBI protocol) the .40 S&W and 9mm have near identical terminal ballistics.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast