Why a 1911? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Why a 1911?

This is a discussion on Why a 1911? within the Handgun Discussion forums, part of the Handguns category; As said 100 years and still good as ever. But also, if you have/carry one you'll never need to look ...

As said 100 years and still good as ever. But also, if you have/carry one you'll never need to look very far for replacement parts. They are everywhere.

Unlike a SIG or Hk, if something goes wrong it's gonna be hard to ask your buddy for a magazine or other replacement part.
    That's why 1911 is so awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I am honestly wondering what the draw is for a 1911 pistol. I know that there is quite a following for them, so I am just curious about what makes them better than another pistol?
    Go shoot one and get back to us with the answer to this question.
    STGC(SW)
    USN (ret)

Nice replies. Thanks all
    -Austin

The 1911 has the easiest trigger to shoot well to be found on a handgun, add to that it's ergonomics and what's not to love about the platform.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

Resalability. I have owned several. But when I found myself out of work, needing cash, I always got the best deals when I sold a 1911.

I have one now, and although it is not my only pistol, it is my carry weapon of choice.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

golocx4 is offline Got Beretta's?

Quote Originally Posted by jrogo View Post
    I believe your question will be best answered if you were to shoot one for yourself.
    I shot one, helped break one down, put it back together and caught the fever to buy one.
    Just sayin.

kwimby is offline Banned

A well-made, high quality 1911 has a feel and performance factor that transcends the usual descriptions of handgun character. The whole really is greater than the sum of it's parts. I can shoot a mag from my Sig, pull the 1911 and shoot the target right next to it and get a consistently tighter group every time. Of course it is to some extent a subjective call, but to me personally it is worth the $400 greater price in my particular example(s).

Like some have already said, you have to shoot it for yourself to really know the difference.

gunnerbob is offline ~Gun Junkie~

Just a little humor, the great thing about the 1911 is after I've shot through the 7-8rds of .45 I can still use it like a hammer to fight off the BGs... lol.

I love 1911s!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I am honestly wondering what the draw is for a 1911 pistol. I know that there is quite a following for them, so I am just curious about what makes them better than another pistol?
    Well there is the old school people who where brought up on them and understand the reliability and dependability of the firearm and the round. Then there are those who see it as both history and art. It is a good fitting pistol.. The only issue for carry is for many is is a bad choice to start with as the 1911 requires a skill set in and of itself to use it and use it to it's full benefit. IE there is allot to remember and do with unthinking mental and muscle memory. The 1911 is a weapon that needs to be shot and practiced with. This is why so many agencies like the Glock any person can use the glock with a minimal amount of training.

Default agree to disagree

I believe that the 1911 is (like someone else said the AK of Handguns, its reliable and dependable and will operate in poor conditions..

That said the Glock is Not for beginners, Thats why so many people have accidental discharges w the glock ..

Id certainly recommend a 1911 type .45 w the Hammer, Safety and Handle Safety like the Springfield .45. XD model imitates the 1911 safety features that a Glock doesnt have, while simple to operate, a Glock should be for a more experienced weapons handler.

Id never recomend a Glock for a beginner, but thats just me..

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast