Why a 1911? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Why a 1911?

This is a discussion on Why a 1911? within the Handgun Discussion forums, part of the Handguns category; Originally Posted by Shamrock Bail I believe that the 1911 is (like someone else said the AK of Handguns, its ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Bail View Post
    I believe that the 1911 is (like someone else said the AK of Handguns, its reliable and dependable and will operate in poor conditions.. That said the Glock is Not for beginners, Thats why so many people have accidental discharges w the glock .. Id certainly recommend a 1911 type .45 w the Hammer, Safety and Handle Safety like the Springfield .45. XD model imitates the 1911 safety features that a Glock doesnt have, while simple to operate, a Glock should be for a more experienced weapons handler. Id never recomend a Glock for a beginner, but thats just me..
    I did not recommend a Glock for carry. I pointed out why so many agencies buy them. The 1911 is a BAD choice for the person new to carry. Unless you have TRAINED and have the mental and muscle memory to use the weapon then you are likely to err. The 1911 requires you to know everything from the correct grip to the de-activation of the safety depending on your chosen mode of carry. Take a dozen folks who are newer to the 1911 Ie ones who have fired less them a few thousand rounds. give then a 1911 in a holster put them on the line then give them commands. Like 1 for draw and fire at center mass 2 for draw fine ONE round then reload 3 draw on a empty chamber clear and fire. You will be surprised at how many have issues. I get folks all the time who can not even get the safety off after there draw. They can fire at paper all day and hit there targets but using the 1911 takes practiced skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Icewind View Post
    As said 100 years and still good as ever. But also, if you have/carry one you'll never need to look very far for replacement parts. They are everywhere.

Unlike a SIG or Hk, if something goes wrong it's gonna be hard to ask your buddy for a magazine or other replacement part.
    That's why 1911 is so awesome.
    With an HK you don't need replacement parts, you aren't replacing springs every 2000 rounds. You can't find parts "everywhere" because you don't need to have a spare guns worth of parts on hand to consider it reliable.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    Interested in a little friendly competition?

Join the forum Friendly Firearms Competition group.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    With an HK you don't need replacement parts, you aren't replacing springs every 2000 rounds. You can't find parts "everywhere" because you don't need to have a spare guns worth of parts on hand to consider it reliable.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    I had a Colt 1911 that I ran at least 20,000 rounds through. The springs were still running strong when I sold it.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using Tapatalk 2
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

I have had a lot guys who might own a Glock or two or some other polymer try out my Kimber 1911 at the range and be totally amazed at how "smooth it shoots" and "how it feels in their hands" and how true to aim it is.
    NRA, CCW
    Kimber TLE/RL, Sig P220ST, Browning Hi-Power 9mm
    S&W M&P15T, Mossberg Silver Reserve 12g O/U

The 1911 is a very easy gun to shoot well, it has great ergonomics and the best trigger of any carry gun. The 1911 takes more time to learn well much like learning to drive a ZR-1 Corvette takes more time than learning to drive a Prius.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

Quote Originally Posted by Icewind View Post
    As said 100 years and still good as ever. But also, if you have/carry one you'll never need to look very far for replacement parts. They are everywhere.

Unlike a SIG or Hk, if something goes wrong it's gonna be hard to ask your buddy for a magazine or other replacement part.
    That's why 1911 is so awesome.
    A Sig, HK or quality 1911 is unlikely to need repair in the field unlike hobbyist grade 1911's (Kimber).

Quote Originally Posted by clemsondude View Post
    I have had a lot guys who might own a Glock or two or some other polymer try out my Kimber 1911 at the range and be totally amazed at how "smooth it shoots" and "how it feels in their hands" and how true to aim it is.

Wait till they shoot a high end 1911 with a quality trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    The 1911 is a very easy gun to shoot well, it has great ergonomics and the best trigger of any carry gun. The 1911 takes more time to learn well much like learning to drive a ZR-1 Corvette takes more time than learning to drive a Prius.

The key feature of the 1911 is the trigger. A quality 1911 trigger is truly a thing of beauty.

It's kind of like why some people like Harley's, if you have to ask you won't understand. I'll try to elaborate. It's been around for 101 years for a reason. Ergonomics and the ability to easily customize and fine tune it to your own individual liking. It's like the AR of handguns. Everybody makes one but not necessarily a great one. Once you've experienced a great one you'll understand what all the fuss is about. Once you own a great one, you'll be able to easily find the parts that will allow a good gunsmith to turn that first 1911 you bought into one that shoots like the one you should have bought first. And then when you own two really good ones, you'll start to wonder if spending a small fortune at once for a totally hand fitted custom 1911 by somebody like Wilson, Baer, Brown, etc. will allow you to shoot groups with all of the holes touching. When you accomplish that, you will have reached the tip of Maslow's Hierarchy known as "self-actualization" or "1911 mastery". Few of us get there, but the fun is in the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I am honestly wondering what the draw is for a 1911 pistol. I know that there is quite a following for them, so I am just curious about what makes them better than another pistol?
    Reliability over 100 years and they are just pretty.

Don't have one myself because I haven't convinced myself yet that I need another handgun. But they sure are a good looking firearm.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast