glock tenifer finishes

glock tenifer finishes

This is a discussion on glock tenifer finishes within the Handgun Discussion forums, part of the Handguns category; Hi: I own a Glock 17 and after several months of range use I have noticed some scratches on the ...

Smile glock tenifer finishes

Hi: I own a Glock 17 and after several months of range use I have noticed some scratches on the tenifer coated slide. Is there a method to remove the scratches or do es the slide need a refinishing job?

araczynski is offline NotASheep.Enabled = True;

can't say i've ran into this with my glock 22, but i clean/oil mine after every practice session at the range (120 shots/per session), how often do clean yours?

The Glock tenifer is like one of the hardest surfaces on earth next to a diamond. How did you scratch it up?

I would hope some kind of compound rub out there will get it off. I doubt your slide is scratched. Probably just looks like a scratch but i'll bet it's just what ever was coating the item that banged against it.

The finish that is scratched is just that, a finish. The tenifer is a metal treatment that you cannot see, you can completely strip the finish off your Glock and the tenifer is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by g2023 View Post
    The finish that is scratched is just that, a finish. The tenifer is a metal treatment that you cannot see, you can completely strip the finish off your Glock and the tenifer is still there.
    Absolutely correct.

Tenifer is not a finish it is a salt-bath treatment to the metal itself making it extremely corrosive-resistant. The black finish that you say is wearing is just that... a finish. If you want the gun to be pristine and not have any wear, you should be able to have it re-finished, but rest assured if your Glock has a tenifer treatment to it, its still there.

However, I had a Glock Armorer tell me that Glock stopped using the tenifer treatment due to EPA regulations. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, does anyone know what they are using if the tenifer treatment is not being used now?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Tenifer is not a finish it is a salt-bath treatment to the metal itself making it extremely corrosive-resistant. The black finish that you say is wearing is just that... a finish. If you want the gun to be pristine and not have any wear, you should be able to have it re-finished, but rest assured if your Glock has a tenifer treatment to it, its still there.

However, I had a Glock Armorer tell me that Glock stopped using the tenifer treatment due to EPA regulations. Does anyone know if this is true? Also, does anyone know what they are using if the tenifer treatment is not being used now?
    The EPA has no say on what goes down in Austria. The manufacturing of parts needing the Tenifer finish are made in Austria then shipped to Smyrna, GA where the pistols are assembled. I believe that some frames as well as other internal parts (like triggers, springs, etc) are manufactured in Smyrna, GA. I took a tour once and watched them mold the lowers. It was very impressive.
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I took a tour once and watched them mold the lowers. It was very impressive.
    Now I'm jealous!
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    ...Jesus Christ and the American G.I.
    One died for your sins; the other for your freedom.

Melonite is the American version of Tennifer.

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    The EPA has no say on what goes down in Austria. The manufacturing of parts needing the Tenifer finish are made in Austria then shipped to Smyrna, GA where the pistols are assembled. I believe that some frames as well as other internal parts (like triggers, springs, etc) are manufactured in Smyrna, GA. I took a tour once and watched them mold the lowers. It was very impressive.
    Thanks for the info Glock Fan... and I too am now jealous. Sounds like I will have to take a trip to GA now.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)