11 yr old son
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

11 yr old son

This is a discussion on 11 yr old son within the Handgun Discussion forums, part of the Handguns category; My son and I started shooting in a idpa like league. He is shooting a Sr22 but sometimes we have ...

Default 11 yr old son

My son and I started shooting in a idpa like league. He is shooting a Sr22 but sometimes we have bowling pin and other shoots where a 9 or bigger is required. I have a g19 and a Sr9c but the trigger reach seems to long for him. He ends up pulling the trigger with his week hand. Any ideas on a decent smaller frame 9. Maybe single stack 1911. Don't want to get to crazy on price.

what is an 'idpa' league?
    how about a darringer? it's a small gun for fun perhaps? and when he gets bigger he can get a bigger gun
    gun control is being able to hit your target

M&P Shield will work, if you can find one
    When liberals run out of other people's right to infridge upon, how many will give up theirs?

International Defensive pistol asociation....you shoot at targets setup like life senerios. Lots of fun....
    When liberals run out of other people's right to infridge upon, how many will give up theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by TlWheatley View Post
    International Defensive pistol asociation....you shoot at targets setup like life senerios. Lots of fun....
    oh that sounds like fun ..i'm going to a class in coral springs july 8th with similar training i so look forward to it
    check out the book i just won from https://www.facebook.com/KeyHousePress from the reviews and all it sounds like a great book for both you and your son .......me and my son will be reading it soon as he is going to mail it to me tomorrow so i'll probably get it early next week i can't wait to read it
    gun control is being able to hit your target

First, congrats on getting your 11 year old shooting....and shooting idpa with you!

I used to run some bowling pin shoots at my range. If someone, like my son, was shooting a 22, then we would put the pins on the back of the table. The pins had to be knocked off the table. A 22 can knock over pins but certainly it takes more shoots to get it off the table.

I suggest this because I think the 9 I had my son try was too much for him, size & power wise.

Good job getting your son out and shooting. You might want to check out some older 9mm and or guns built for women, like maybe a 3913 S&W or even a Lady Smith revolver in .38spl. Some of the newer single stacks might work like the Walther PPS or similiar with an adjustable back strap.
    Kevin - NRA Life Member
    2nd Amendment = Freedom from Tyranny

Quote Originally Posted by TlWheatley View Post
    M&P Shield will work, if you can find one
    Odds are he'll be able to properly grip a M&P 9 or 9c with the small back strap in place, further the gun will grow with him as it also has med & Lg back straps to accommodate larger hands.

If you want a 1911 look at the Springfield EMP, however they're twice the price of a M&P.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

Thanks for the input!!!!

I would look for a 9mm with a single stack, the grip is thinner. Start with a Kahr 9mm, I believe they are all single stacked. The M&P Shield should be good, look at the Taurus 9mm slim and for an excellent 9mm, the Taurus 1911-9 - just flat out shoots lights out for curacy.
    NRA Life Member
    1911-45, 9, 22, P229, P220, P228, PPQ, 38 spl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast