Sig or Kimber
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Sig or Kimber

This is a discussion on Sig or Kimber within the Handgun Discussion forums, part of the Handguns category; I noticed today on Sig's website that they offer a 1911 (the Ultra Two Tone) that is almost identical dimensions ...

Default Sig or Kimber

I noticed today on Sig's website that they offer a 1911 (the Ultra Two Tone) that is almost identical dimensions as the Kimber Ultra Carry 2. I know both Sig and Kimber have excellent reputations for quality. I own a Sig already (p238). Has anyone shot both of these or at least comparable 1911's by each of these manufacturers that could advise? I've heard Kimbers can be ammo finicky, is this true? Please no advise against 1911's or other irrelevant recommendations. This is a gift for my father-in-law, and 1911 is what he likes. He wants that Kimber, but I saw a VERY similar Sig and thought it may be a better gun and wanted opinions on whether or not I'm right on that assumption.
    "...to keep, meaning 'it's mine, and you can't have it'"...
    -Ted Nugent
    on the right to keep and bear arms

I fondle both on a daily basis at work. The fact is that I have many more customers who have purchased the ultra size Kimbers and love them. I never seem to get any feedback on the Sig 1911's and we don't sell as many of them. It's my observation that Kimber makes many of their ultra sized 1911's a little more carry friendly with rounded and beveled edges. The Sig frames are more squared. All of my personal 1911's, are full size and commander frames of which several are Kimbers. I also have a Kimber .22 rimfire conversion kit that will fit on just about any 4 or 5 inch 1911 except a Sig or a Taurus for whatever that's worth. I can't say a bad thing about the Sig 3 in. 1911 other than it just doesn't feel as good to me and I prefer my 1911's to be from American companies. I've never had any issues with my Kimbers but then I don't own an ultra sized Kimber. But if I wanted a 3 inch 1911, I would lean toward a Dan Wesson or that Springfield EMP is a shooter that has certainly stood the test of time.

B2Tall is offline Stirrer of the Pot

Sig.

I work many of the gun shows here in FL and I can tell you from firsthand experience that we get a lot of Kimber owners who want to trade their pistol in and get a Sig (or HK, or Glock, etc.). It's very rare that a Sig owner wants to trade his/her pistol in. That should tell you a lot. I've spoken to scores of Kimber owners and a surprisingly high percentage of them are underwhelmed by the pistol. I don't remember any of them flat-out hating their Kimber but words like "overpriced" and "overrated" get bandied about quite a bit by many of the owners I've spoken to. (For the record I'm not a Kimber hater nor am I a Sig fanboy). I remember one customer who said "It's a great pistol when it's not falling apart". Take it for what it's worth.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Buy a Colt!!!!!

I have two pre series II Kimbers with 4" barrels, and three Sig 1911's one with a 5" barrel, and two with 4" barrels. They are all high quality guns, (my own opinion) accurate, and none of them have ever failed to function, with whatever ammunition I've used. I prefer the use of a bushing in the Sigs, as opposed to the reverse-tapered barrel in the Kimbers, as the Sig require no tools, to take 'em apart. The Sigs have an external extractor, as opposed to Kimbers' internal one. The Sigs have the "Swartz-type" hammer block, where my pre series II Kimbers do not. It's been my experience that often some feed issues are exhibited by 1911's with barrels under 4", and often with hollow point ammunition.

You're in Michigan, I'm two hours south of the Indiana-Michigan line. If you'd care to make a day trip, I'll be happy to let your father-in-law shoot 'em both and decide which he prefers.

Regards....
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

thanks for the input all! Jay thank u for offering some shots out of your pistols. this is going to b a surprise, plus that would b a long hike for us, otherwise I'd b tempted to take u up on that. I definitely appreciate the offer tho!
    "...to keep, meaning 'it's mine, and you can't have it'"...
    -Ted Nugent
    on the right to keep and bear arms

Quote Originally Posted by m.ritz View Post
    I noticed today on Sig's website that they offer a 1911 (the Ultra Two Tone) that is almost identical dimensions as the Kimber Ultra Carry 2. I know both Sig and Kimber have excellent reputations for quality. I own a Sig already (p238). Has anyone shot both of these or at least comparable 1911's by each of these manufacturers that could advise? I've heard Kimbers can be ammo finicky, is this true? Please no advise against 1911's or other irrelevant recommendations. This is a gift for my father-in-law, and 1911 is what he likes. He wants that Kimber, but I saw a VERY similar Sig and thought it may be a better gun and wanted opinions on whether or not I'm right on that assumption.
    You didn't say but I assume your speaking of the full size, 5 inch barrel models? if thats the case then which ever gun trips your trigger the most as for qaulity they are comparable, also the 4 inch barrel models are good, the only ones I have seen issue with are the 3 inch barrel gun, and it does not matter who makes them, if you want a 3 inch barrel gun, its a crap shoot for getting one that runs good, I personaly have found this out for myself, I already had 2 1911s a Colt and full size Springfield, but I want a 3 inch for a carry gun and I wanted a second one for my wife, it took seven try's from different makers to find two that ran good
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

Default Sig or Kimber

Have the Sig Ultra in Nitron. Superb pistol. Have about 1200 rounds through it with no issues. Eats anything I feed it. Sig sent me a 3 pack of the flat wound recoil springs, switch one out at 1000 rounds. To me, just as accurate as the 5".

Have 1911s by Sig, Springfield, and Kimber and all are great. I can only recommend getting the one with the best deal or the coolest features, or that little extra feel (i.e. trigger release, grip safety, what ever). All mine are accurate, reliable, and comfortable to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoaner View Post
    I can't say a bad thing about the Sig 3 in. 1911 other than it just doesn't feel as good to me and I prefer my 1911's to be from American companies.
    All Sig Sauer 1911's are made in Exeter, NH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast