Snub Nose Revolver???
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Snub Nose Revolver???

This is a discussion on Snub Nose Revolver??? within the Handgun Discussion forums, part of the Handguns category; I thought of a snub nose revolver, but am thinking something with a 3.5 to 4 inch barrel would be ...

Default Snub Nose Revolver???

I thought of a snub nose revolver, but am thinking something with a 3.5 to 4 inch barrel would be a much better choice. A thinner body seems more important than a shorter barrel for CCW. I am 6"2", so I would think a slightly longer barrel wouldn't be an issue concealing.

Thoughts on the merits of snub nosed revolvers? Can you change my mind and convince me that a snub nosed revolver is better than a longer barreled semi auto?

While I do not want lots of weight, I do want more than a lightweight gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at the Ruger LCR. You are correct , thinness is the most important factor. The exception is if you carry appendix then most definitely a short barrel is more comfortable. If the gun is for CC the reason I like the LCR for a revolver choice is it light , hammer less and well made. A snub nose makes it possible to pocket carry as well as other places easier IMO.

Go Seahawks!

Quote Originally Posted by mwhals View Post
    I thought of a snub nose revolver, but am thinking something with a 3.5 to 4 inch barrel would be a much better choice. A thinner body seems more important than a shorter barrel for CCW. I am 6"2", so I would think a slightly longer barrel wouldn't be an issue concealing.

Thoughts on the merits of snub nosed revolvers? Can you change my mind and convince me that a snub nosed revolver is better than a longer barreled semi auto?

While I do not want lots of weight, I do want more than a lightweight gun.
    It really depends on how and where you will carry your firearm. Personally, I conceal a full size Glock in .40 and have no problem carrying it daily. I'm 6'1" and 220 lbs.

My best advise is to get the largest caliber firearm that you can easily shoot. Once you have found the firearm that you comfortable using for self-defense, THEN figure out the best method to conceal it. There are numerous ways to carry concealed that are very comfortable regardless the physical size of the firearm.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

I would suggest a Glock 23 or 27 Gen 4. Better stopping power, more rounds in the gun and faster reloads if needed. For you, they can be carried concealed just as easily as the snub nose that you're talking about. Also the Gen 4 Glocks have a adjustable backstrape, so if you have a big hand you can make the handlebigger to fit to your liking.

It depends on how you carry the weapon. To my mind the snubby is at it's best as a pocket gun. I own K and L frames with 2.5 inch barrels they have real charm in that they are lightening fast from the leather and they are easier to draw if you have shoulder mobility problems. What the six gun does offer for (me at least) is potent ammo in 357, extreme reliability, a very simple manual of arms and a trigger action that is close to Murphy proof.

RxDoc is offline Rxdoc

Another vote for the Ruger LCR, in .357mag though. Lightweight, highly concealable-IWB, AIWB, OWB, pocket, multiple ammo options (if .357mag too much, can carry variable .38spl rds), manageable, accurate-even at longer distances-installed XS Big Dot too, with 5 Star Speedloaders and practice=as fast as semi-auto, very "revolver" reliable, and actually "fun" to shoot-as demonstrated by NutNFancy on YouTube. If that's too small, can get the same attributes in a Ruger SP101. Just love revolvers is another reason. Good luck in your search. Take care.
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill

Blog Entries

I have carried a SW642 in a leather pocket holster in my front, right pocket for 7 years. I can walk into a convenience store or stand by a gas pump with my hand wrapped around the grips and no one knows it. In 2 seconds, I can draw the weapon and fire five rounds into a three inch target position 7 yards away. I can follow those rounds with 2 six-round neoprene speed strips. It is both comfortable and comforting....

I appreciate the suggestions! I will have a look at all of them. I am not interested in pocket carry. I may get a .357 and load it with three .38 and two .357 bullets. If there is more than one person, the second one will wish he was the first. I may get a snub nosed .22 magnum for an ankle backup. Decisions, decisions....

Ruger SP101 model 5771! Yum, I am going to have to handle it this weekend!

I go between a S&W Model 60 with the 3 inch barrel and a 40 caliber Sig 229. I carry the 229 more than the 357 magnum. I do not like the 1 and 7/8 inch barrels on the J Frames. Too hard for me to hit what I'm aiming at. 3 inch barrel works very well for me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast