Oil or wax coating for stored guns?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil or wax coating for stored guns?

Oil or wax coating for stored guns?

I wipe down my carry guns with a light coat of oil. My stored handguns & rifles get a coat of Johnson past wax twice a year. All have remained in mint condition. Anyone else wax instead of oil?
    Why Be Politically Correct When You Can Be Right

Never even crossed my mind. What just crossed my mind was "Wax on....wax off" from Karate Kid movie.
    Happily clinging to God and my guns...not at all bitter.

I use Renissance wax on the antiques and the guns that don't get out as much as I'd like them too. I just let them get warmed up a bit by setting them in the sun, and then apply the wax. Years will go by before there will be any corrosion. Museums use wax on a lot of their displays.

Started waxing blue steel back in the 70's

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

I have waxed and oiled at various times. I finally decided on oil only because I can't get wax on all the parts. Waxing the bore wasn't so hard, but the internal receiver was a chore. It's only oil for me. And it only needs to be done about twice a year for guns I don't use, and easier to apply than wax.. But everyone should do what one wants. I decided that when I was about 60. I'm 76 now, ;)
    Jim Page

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

the ones i store and don't use i spray down with white lithium grease..... only have to do it once.... works for me

I use only wax on all my guns only i use the best wax Collinite's no.845 insulator wax made in Utica N.Y.since 1912 never advertise word of mouth only besides there website the only place that i know is Advanced Automotive.It was originally designed for power lines to avoid dangerous flash overs.and instead of the 40 weight motor oil they give you in those gun cleaning kits i use the best lubricant Tri- Flow I shot in pistol matches for 4 years all the guys had 2to3 thousand dollar guns and had alibi's every match 4 years i never had one with my 400 dollar gun.And my 2004 Kia is the shines the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner 357 View Post
    I use only wax on all my guns only i use the best wax Collinite's no.845 insulator wax.
    Use that stuff on the boat I work on for the stainless railing..If it keeps steel from rusting with salty ocean spray if WILL work for your guns.Downside is its about 20 bucks a bottle,lol.

9. A light coat of C.L.P. and stored in a tight safe with dehumidifier I have had no issues at all.

I have used paste wax on my blued barrels before for storage. Works well except for getting the paste wax out of them pesky stamped imprints in the metal. I switched years ago to Pledge furniture polish for the metal and wood. Looks good and stores well over long periods of time in the dehumidified safe.

IMO, over time a petroleum product will collect dust / dirt and lose it's protective properties.

Without fail, I always clean and lube my pistols / rifles before storage. I moved a few years ago and ran across a rifle case I had forgotten about buried in my junk room. It was my Stevens single shot bolt action .22 that had not seen daylight in at least 35 years. I was surprised to find the action and inside the barrel had formed a moderate amount of rust.

The thin coat of oil I applied to it decades ago had evaporated. I guess that's why most manufacturers use cosmoline for shipping and longer term storage?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast