mineral oil?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

mineral oil?

This is a discussion on mineral oil? within the Handgun Maintenance, Cleaning and Gunsmithing forums, part of the Handguns category; my gunsmith uses this to help clean and oil weapons. anybody else? he says it does a great job, not ...

Default mineral oil?

my gunsmith uses this to help clean and oil weapons. anybody else? he says it does a great job, not oily, and is cheap. i myself have not. i couldn't argue with the results though.
    SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE IS TRAINING TO KILL YOU. WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Default OK

After reading your post I did a little digging and it looks like Mineral oil would make a pretty good solvent and still leave a light film of lubricant. I would personally use it to clean and then lube with something a bit heavier.

From Wikipedia: Mineral oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cleaning
    Mineral oil can be used to clean heavier oil stains by diluting and liquefying the other oils, rendering the oils more accessible to detergents. Likewise, it can be employed to "de-gum," to remove adhesive residue left by price tags or adhesive tape. It can be used as a cleaner and solvent for inks in fine art printmaking as well as in oil painting, though turpentine is more often used.

Mineral oil is also used in some guitar string cleaners, since it can help mobilize dirt and oil without contributing to the oxidization of the metal strings.

Mineral oil can leave a residue, which is undesirable in some applications.

Mineral Oil will work fine. If you want a great cleaner/lubricant make yourself some Ed's Red. It makes a lot so you might want to split it with some friends.

Collecting and Shooting the Surplus Rifle

The latest recipe that I could fine.

Ed's Red
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Default thanks, red!!

i just had never heard of that mineral oil used on weapons before.

wicked is offline Angela Allen

Default Oils attract grit

The only problem with using oil-based lubricants, IMHO, is that it attracts dust, dirt and grit. It will keep a coating to help protect the metal, but I'd avoid using this around moving parts. Grit/dust, etc., where parts rub creates a sandpaper effect.

Another advantage is the fact that it is non-toxic. So you don't have to feel bad if you find that you have to shove your gun in a perps mouth.

wicked is offline Angela Allen

Shame on you, hiwall! (I LOL'ed when I read this and had to explain the outburst). :)

Default thanks for the info..!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jes View Post
    After reading your post I did a little digging and it looks like Mineral oil would make a pretty good solvent and still leave a light film of lubricant. I would personally use it to clean and then lube with something a bit heavier.

From Wikipedia: Mineral oil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Cleaning
    Mineral oil can be used to clean heavier oil stains by diluting and liquefying the other oils, rendering the oils more accessible to detergents. Likewise, it can be employed to "de-gum," to remove adhesive residue left by price tags or adhesive tape. It can be used as a cleaner and solvent for inks in fine art printmaking as well as in oil painting, though turpentine is more often used.

Mineral oil is also used in some guitar string cleaners, since it can help mobilize dirt and oil without contributing to the oxidization of the metal strings.

Mineral oil can leave a residue, which is undesirable in some applications.
    thanks to one and all!!

Quote Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
    Another advantage is the fact that it is non-toxic. So you don't have to feel bad if you find that you have to shove your gun in a perps mouth.
    Bad thoughts...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I am thinking mineral oil might work in a pinch if you do not have access to anything else but I also think there are better products on the market that are made especially for the job. The following has been posted before but now might be a good time to review it. My guns cost to much to leave anything to chance. I want the best protection I can get.

The Gun Zone -- Corrosion Test
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast