Polishing my XD .40?

Polishing my XD .40?

This is a discussion on Polishing my XD .40? within the Handgun Maintenance, Cleaning and Gunsmithing forums, part of the Handguns category; Ok, so the other day I was going to grab the mail. Instead of getting my holster, and the right ...

Blog Entries

Default Polishing my XD .40?

Ok, so the other day I was going to grab the mail. Instead of getting my holster, and the right belt and what have you, I just put it in my pants.
    When I came back in and put my pistol on the coffee table in front of me I noticed that I had scratched the black coating on the side of the slide.
    So, I youtubed "polished xd .40". I pretty much only say polished barrels.
    So my question is...
    Has anybody removed the black coating from theirs and also if it was a goo/bad idea. I planned to just take some 220 grit to it and polish just the barrel.
    Would this be detrimental to it any way? Do I need to take any special precautions when doing this or after for upkeep? Naturally I would oil it to keep it from rusting.
    I do not plan to do anything out of site. I dont want to affect the action so I just wanted to do the outside.
    Thoughts, previous experiance?
    THANKS!

Do a google search and find a place that cerakotes to gave the slide done should be around 80 bucks the gunmetal color is nasty however there are a ton of colors to choose from and it is a very hard surface once applied unlike duracoat etc pic attached of 1911 cerakoted
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”