Fundamentals for newbies...Train like you fight and fight like you train
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By festus

Fundamentals for newbies...Train like you fight and fight like you train

This is a discussion on Fundamentals for newbies...Train like you fight and fight like you train within the Handgun Tactics, Training, and Practice forums, part of the Handguns category; Train like you fight and fight like you train...anyone who has ever been in the military has heard this phrase. ...

festus is offline God Bless Our Troops!!!

Exclamation Fundamentals for newbies...Train like you fight and fight like you train

Train like you fight and fight like you train...anyone who has ever been in the military has heard this phrase.

Under a high stress situation you are most likely to react in a way that involves gross motor skills...Unless you train train train.

At most ranges you are not allowed to present from the holster. You are pretty much stuck in a little box that is your "lane" and you don't move much from an isosceles stance or a weaver stance. This is not a total loss. This is the time to work on fundamentals. This is the time to drill into your skull over and over and over about sight picture, trigger squeeze, correct grip, and recoil management.

All of those help when you do get to a formal training class.

Try this...
    This is all good training that does not involve range fees, gun cleaning, or extra ammo purchase.

Unload your carry weapon. (THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT SAFETY STEP FOR THIS ARTICLE IT IS NOT A SUGGESTION IT IS A SAFETY ORDER FAILURE TO DO SO WILL CAUSE ACCIDENTAL/NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE)
    Clear the chamber.
    Put a single snap cap in an empty magazine and chamber your snap cap. Now you can dry fire most weapons (not all but most...check your manual or ask your gun elf) without excessive damage to the firing pin and mechanism.
    With your weapon pointed in a safe direction, balance a dime across your front sight.
    Practice pulling the trigger until the dime stays put across the front sight.
    You now have achieved proper trigger squeeze.
    Practice until you can keep the dime in place 100 times in a row.
    Do this on numerous days and keep your skills sharp.
    You are building muscle memory.

With the same unloaded weapon holster it and conceal the way that you would on a standard day.
    Practice drawing and presenting the gun like you were in slow motion, with your weapon pointed in a safe direction.
    Make a conscious effort to make every move perfect. (kind of like practicing GUN FU)
    Do this as many times as you can stand.
    Do not worry about being fast, worry about being perfect, smooth and right.
    You need to draw hundreds of times over many days until you total in the thousands of draws and presentations.

Empty out two magazines.
    These are now your training mags.
    With your weapon pointed in a safe direction, remove one EMPTY magazine from the UNLOADED weapon and as smoothly as is humanly possible again moving in slow motion, insert a new EMPTY magazine and charge the weapon.
    Remove the magazine and slowly reload while working on smooth and perfect.
    Do this as many times as is humanly possible.
    Magazine changes should be able to be made in the dark, and without having to look at the weapon.

(NOTE) Retain your magazines if you can. You do not want to resupply the badguys and you also may need those rounds in a tactical situation if you are topping off and not running the weapon dry. You are not in a speed shooting competition, you are in real life.

Muscle memory is a conditioned response that because of repetition results in very specific abilities when the standard response for an untrained person is gross motor movement only. Muscle memory is what allows our military warriors to carry on the fight when they are confronted with a fight or flight event and need to focus on the objective. Muscle memory does not rely on speed in practice. Muscle memory comes from the fine tuning of your body as a conditioned response. The fact that you have conditioned yourself in such a manner also means that when the world goes to hell in a hand basket you will react much faster than you expect. Muscle memory will ensure that the reaction is smooth and fluid. You will not need to mentally process the actions, your body will already accept and perform the desired response. These things alone will make you a much better Pistolero and will result in confidence in your self, your equipment and your actions. Confidence is key to not losing. It is one thing to own a gun and think you know how to use it. It is yet another to own a gun and know you know how to use it. Master these fundamentals. Make them a single fluid motion. When you do get to a formal class you may just be light years ahead of the guys and gals who bought a gun and showed up for a spoonful of knowledge.

You will be able to focus on the tactics and other advanced skills without going into information overload because you already have a rock solid foundation!!!!!

Like the old gunfighters used to say..."SLOW IS SMOOTH AND SMOOTH IS FAST!!!"
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Good advice! I've actually tried out a few of these but I stopped doing them after a while. I have to start picking it back up. :)

Shoobee is offline Banned

The main thing is take a firearms class or two or several from your local NRA instructor or a local LEO teaching it.

festus is offline God Bless Our Troops!!!

I was talking about an advanced class like frontsite...etc. NRA safety training is always a first consideration. Many states will not allow you carry without some form of proof of formal safety training.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Haha yeah Alabama doesn't require a safety class, but I do have a good family friend (ex-military), and I grew up with him teaching me about gun safety. I feel comfortable and safe around firearms, but a safety class could never go amiss. And then I would like to move on to more advanced things as well. :)

titon is offline Banned

if your concern is defense, all that bullseye training is a waste of your time. spend that time instead on learning the open wear draw, then the ccw draw. there's videos and books on how to do it.