Getting "Intimate" with Violence Poll

View Poll Results: What do you believe is the root of violence?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • An abusive childhood experience.

8 12.70%
  • A neurological defect

4 6.35%
  • An expression of spiritual evil

19 30.16%
  • Violence is a natural occurrance.

39 61.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting "Intimate" with Violence Poll

This is a discussion on Getting "Intimate" with Violence Poll within the Handgun Tactics, Training, and Practice forums, part of the Handguns category; I meant to put this up with my thread. I f someone knows how to add it to my thread, ...

Default Getting "Intimate" with Violence Poll

I meant to put this up with my thread. I f someone knows how to add it to my thread, I'd like to hear how...
    Last edited by Barney; 09-22-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Spelling
    BARNEY:NRA Instructor / Gunfight Survivor ~ DefconCCW.com
    That "feel-good" training is just a certificate your loved ones will pack into a box of your belongings after your funeral.

I think it's a combination of many factors. The choices you provided are too broad for me to choose any "one" in particular.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

i think violence is human nature in fact i belive every one is capable of violent actions and probaly has used violence against someone at some point in thier life. Im not trying to excuse violence, we can all control ourselves, and not resort to it. Yet some people just dont want to, and just continue doing it.

Nature definately plays a role, but I think how we express our violent tendancies is based on nurture.

We are becomming more violent because violence is both suppressed and encouraged by our society.

I was watching CNN Anger in America yesterday. They had a guy on who was trying to get guns off the street in his community. He expressed it perfectly, he said the biggest guy with the biggest gun is the most important in the neighborhood. Violence results in elevated social status, this is a very powerful motivator, ask any anthropologist. Add to this our myths (Stories designed to transmit culture, in the US conveyed through movies, TV and video games) involve violent people doing violent things, without the tempering influences of the past that come from Religeon and more traditional morality stories and myths, and the leveling influences of adults (most kids do not spend much time around adults who will not tolerate their crap).

50 years ago, Bob and Tim get into a fight. Teacher, Priest, Minister or other local adult takes boys out back and has them fight it out (in a supervised setting, with boxing gloves if available). When the fight is over, the adult makes Bob and Tim shake hands and make up. Lessons learned: Fighting does not solve problems, but it does deal with the emotions of the situation. There are rules to fighting and they do not include killing each other. When the fight is over, you still have to learn to get along and resolve your problems. Adults are in control (enforcing the rules), especially when the kids are not.
    If Bob is bigger than Tim, the adult would smack him and say what the hell are you doing picking on someone half your size, and the rest of the kids would look down on him. And God help Bob if it is Jill instead of Tim.

Today, Bob hits Tim, Tim Hits Bob back, both are suspended. Tim is lectured about how he has to tell a teacher if Bob hits him. After suspension, Bob hits Tim, tim tries to tell teacher but teacher is busy, Bob continues to hit Tim until Tim hits Bob Back. Both are suspended again. (Story related by a school employee I know). What have they learned? Tim has learned he cannot resolve his problems for himself. If he has a problem, he has to go to an authority figure to resolve it for him, and they will just ignore him. The system sucks and is stacked against him. What has Bob learned? That he can get away with just about anything with minimal punishment. And the other kids probably look up to Bob for being a badda$$

You want to address violence, sublimation (correct expression) is the key. Taking away weapons doesn't do a damn thing. Suppression makes it worse, just like anything else we try to suppress. We need to transmit a better cultural example to our kids (of any age), and provide a way for kids to express their violent tendencies in a controlled and supervised way (such as hunting, boxing and other martial arts, etc). And we need to remove the cultural incentives to violence (girls, are you listening?).
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Violence can be and often is a result of evil. However it is not always a bad thing. If you force your way into my house with the intent of killing my wife and kids then with all the ability I have I intend to inflict great violence on you.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Violence can be and offen is a result of evil. However it is not always a bad thing. If you force your way into my house with the intent of killing my wife and kids then with all the ability I have I intend to inflict great violence on you.
    Well Said. Sublimation, proper expression. We should all be ready, willing, and able to exhibit great acts of violence when required. Might does not make right, but might does make right happen.
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
    Robert A. Heinlein

I believe that the answer to this question is not available in your choices. I believe that the answer is "because society allows it to happen."
    -Austin

The root of violence? Gosh, it could be so many things. I might get violent, per H4KU, if anyone messes with me or my family or home. But I think a lot of violence comes from domination, as people wish to force their ways, views, or their presence on others. It is a means of control. And that's why I didn't vote, because the answer wasn't there,
    -= Piece Corps =-

hopnpop is offline sheepdog

Default because it's "allowed"? Mmm, don't think so

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I believe that the answer to this question is not available in your choices. I believe that the answer is "because society allows it to happen."
    Whoa! Swing and a MISS... next at bat?

Interesting.

Give me two 2-year old kids and one toy. Violence is an inherent aspect of human nature. Even parents who think their babies are 'little angels' hate it when I use this example, because their little angel will try to rip the eyes out of that other kid in order to get that toy.

Doesn't mean they're trained to kill like a mad pitbull. Doesn't mean the parents are suspect. Doesn't mean anything other than violence has been happening for as long as people have been happening.
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast