.223 rifle to hunt with - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

.223 rifle to hunt with

This is a discussion on .223 rifle to hunt with within the Hunting forums, part of the Outdoors category; I would however use a 300 win. Smallest I would use....

I would however use a 300 win. Smallest I would use.

Why? .223 wouldn't be my first choice...
    If, before undertaking some action, you must obtain the permission of society—you are not free, whether such permission is granted to you or not. Only a slave acts on permission. A permission is not a right. Ayn Rand

Va. requires a .23 cal or larger. A .223 would do the job if shot placement is dead on ( no pun intended) but there are very few hunters that can do it day in and day out. If you can't take a deer humainly with every shot then don't do it. It is our responsability as hunters to harvest game as quickly and humainly as possible. A .223 is a great gun for predaters, hogs, and turkey if you are a good enough shot but please think twice before using one as a deer gun. It just isn't worth loosing an animal because you are using too small of a caliber. Like someone said in a previous post a .243 is the smallest caliber that should be used for deer and then shooting no more than 150 yds.

Jody

I'm with Gary on this topic.
    A .308 dia. bullet will but a deer down more consistent than a smaller caliber.
    You may have used are heard about a smaller dia. bullet stopping a deer in its tracks, but sooner or later you will have a wounded deer running away.
    Then you are stuck looking for a day or more for this deer. It is not worth it.
    The deer deserve better treatment.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

Lot's of folk believe poor shot placement can be compensated for by using a larger caliber, the .223 is more than adequate for deer when the proper ammunition and shot placement are utilized. If you don't have the discipline to wait to make a good shot you shouldn't be hunting.

Hand cut, Hand stitched, Hand made

A .223 won't kill a deer? Sorry guys but I have saw with my own 2 eyes a lot of deer brought down with a .223! It's all about shot placement. IMHO I would think that if our military uses a .223 round to take down people it should be more than sufficient to bring down a deer!

It's not about if it will take it down. It's about how proficient the shooter is and about your state laws! Laws first then Ethics end of story!

This is why some states have laws on caliber size for large game.
    I have heard a number of stories and some of these stories have very good shot placement.

It is NOT about bad placement of shots so use a bigger caliber.
    “An armed society is a polite society.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Cussins View Post
    Va. requires a .23 cal or larger. A .223 would do the job if shot placement is dead on ( no pun intended) but there are very few hunters that can do it day in and day out. If you can't take a deer humainly with every shot then don't do it. It is our responsability as hunters to harvest game as quickly and humainly as possible. A .223 is a great gun for predaters, hogs, and turkey if you are a good enough shot but please think twice before using one as a deer gun. It just isn't worth loosing an animal because you are using too small of a caliber. Like someone said in a previous post a .243 is the smallest caliber that should be used for deer and then shooting no more than 150 yds. Jody
    So your saying rather then be proficient with your firearm of choice use as bigger one? I hate to use this again but my grandfather hunted his whole life he took at least one deer most years more then one and he never used anything but a old Mossberg model b single shot 22lr. He never had to chase a deer down. They went a little ways but he was a crack shot. The .223 is a very high velocity round and is perfectly adequate for taking deer. If you can not hit a deer in the vitals then you shoudl NOT be hunting them. I am a huge fan of long range hunting. Something looked down upon by many as you have to know how to shoot to do it. I have taken a deer at 382 yards ( my furthest one to date ) and he did not take a single step. Shot placement is the key to a clean kill. This is why in war the ratio of rounds fired to kills is mush higher among snipers then it is among the rest of the ground forces.

gunnerbob is offline ~Gun Junkie~

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Yes, with the right round and proper placing of the shot, you can take a Whitetail with a .223. However, it may run a bit.... ;)

EDIT: Within the ballistic range of the round is important... I wouldn't trust a .223 out to 400yds for Whitetail, I would keep it withing 200yds... that's just me though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast