Indiana License To Carry Handgun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Indiana License To Carry Handgun

This is a discussion on Indiana License To Carry Handgun within the Indiana Discussion and Firearm News forums, part of the Firearms Discussion by State category; We don't have a concealed carry permit. We have a license to carry handgun & how we carry it is ...

Default Indiana License To Carry Handgun

We don't have a concealed carry permit. We have a license to carry handgun & how we carry it is up to us.

Since the weather was unseasonably warm today, I decided to open carry for a 17:00 rendezvous with a pro-2nd Amendment friend at Tom's Donuts in Angola, Indiana. Instead of wearing my 2 1/2" Smith & Wesson Model 66 in a shoulder rig, I wore it in an IWB in the right-hand appendix carry with my Carhart jacket unzipped. The revolver was very visible.

The waitress got big eyes when she poured my coffee, but she didn't spill any & she kept the friendly banter & chit-chat going while refilling our cups. A couple of the customers noticed when I got up to use the sanitary facilities, but nobody gave me any dirty looks or stared in an untoward manner.

We were sitting at a booth, but I could hear bits & pieces of some of the conversation at the near end of the counter & my revolver was the topic of some of the conversation, but nobody approached me about it & no LEO showed up.

Pretty good experience. We're close to the Indy area, so carrying openly is sure to grab more attention than what you did. Still planning that one with a small group...

Quote Originally Posted by nate1865 View Post
    Pretty good experience. We're close to the Indy area, so carrying openly is sure to grab more attention than what you did. Still planning that one with a small group...

Let us know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Truck View Post
    Let us know how it goes.
    Will do. Has to be the right place and time. I've carried openly only a few times and then with my P-3AT clipped, so you can't really notice anyways.

Without a doubt, the Indiana Code does not prohibit open carry, but one has to be willing to accept a "man with a gun" call to law enforcement, as a result of open carry. Joe/Jane citizen has as much right to be concerned about an exposed firearm as we have the right to display one.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

I agree...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Without a doubt, the Indiana Code does not prohibit open carry, but one has to be willing to accept a "man with a gun" call to law enforcement, as a result of open carry. Joe/Jane citizen has as much right to be concerned about an exposed firearm as we have the right to display one.

tattedupboy is offline Thank God I'm alive!

Urban areas and the areas surrounding them tend to be more hostile to open carry than rural areas are, so it does not surpise me at all that you got the reaction you got. Consider yourself fortunate that you live in an area where OC won't get you harassed by the police. I live in one of those areas (Gary), where unfortunately, gangbangers carrying concealed guns have made for an environment that is OC unfriendly to law abiding citizens with permits (go figure).

In the Columbus area I've not had too many issues with open carry, except for Wal-Mart (Ugh) -- and nobody seems to be able to get a straight answer as to what corporate policy is beyond "Concealed Only".

One of the employees at Target expressed some concern, so I got in touch with corporate and Target's policies are to uphold the state laws, so officially OC is good there. Anywhere else and I've had no problems except for a few eyebrows meeting up with their respective hairlines.

I'm just glad Indiana gives you the option.
    Taurus PT92
    17+1 9mm

Anyone ever think of launching some educational publicity campaign to educate the citizens on what's "legal"? Maybe we as pro 2A gun owners are gong about things the wrong way. We're so busy worrying about where we "can't" OC, maybe if we turn things around and talk about the places where we can. A nice "Thank you for supporting our 2A rights" campaign is in order.

Something to think about.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

boyzoi Guest

Thumbs up

'bout 2 weeks ago I was in Wally world grabbing the groceries........at check-out this guy walks past says hi to the cashier and I look over, notice a very nice, very visalbe pistol on his waist. no attempt to conceal at all.
    the cashier looks at me and says thats George........he has a permit to carry that .357. I said no kidding!!!
    she looks at me square in the eye and says" I know I'm good with it, I feel safer when he's in the store"
    Go George!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast